Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be starting my swap soon. I have a 94 12v out of a freightliner fl70. I found an adapter plate here in Canada cheaper then I can import one and it uses no flywheel spacer and no starter spacer. My question is for you guys who have done a similar swap. What clutch setup do I use? I have heard NV4500 flywheel and just use a 6.0l non-adjusting cIutch. I’m not going to making and stupid power and would like to keep the swap budget without have to buy “special” parts. I am primarily looking for better mileage as the truck currently has the 5.4 triton.Thanks!

·
Registered
11,732 Posts
The transmission that would have come on the 6.0 was the ZF S750. It has a modular bolt pattern bellhousing. The only adapter that I had looked at was Destroked. Theirs does use a flywheel spacer but nothing on the starter. Starter is a stock Ford 6.0 diesel. Requires a small amount of grinding on the block skirt for starter clearance. Theirs uses the NV4500 style flywheel. Several companies make those modified to use the Ford transmission. The pilot bearing has to be changed to fit the ZF and the clutch assembly is a Ford type that bolts to the Cummins flywheel. Did your adapter plate have a recommendation for the flywheel? Valair is one company that does the flywheel/clutch for a ZF swap. Theirs will accept either the stock 12-1/4" or 13" clutch. South Bend is another company.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The 6.0 ZF6 has it's own specific bellhousing pattern. It is not the modular pattern. It is considerably larger. The stickshift 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstrokes had an entirely different timing cover with their own pattern.

The way I do them is machine a NV5600 flywheel to take a 6205-2RS bearing and a 7.3 Powerstroke clutch kit. The 5600 clutch will work, but the fingers are supposedly wrong for the Ford throwout bearing. I have used both without an issue, but the 7.3 clutch is nice because you can buy the whole kit and use all the pieces including the release bearing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! I called Phoenix friction they put together a kit for me on the phone 450 horse rated, 750usd way cheaper then the “custom” kits supplied from the usual suspects.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the info! I called Phoenix friction they put together a kit for me on the phone 450 horse rated, 750usd way cheaper then the “custom” kits supplied from the usual suspects.
A LUK NV5600 flywheel and upgraded LUK 7.3 clutch kit purchased on Rockauto and shipped to your door is about $375. Well, atleast in USA. Shipping to Canada is probably more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts