Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 5.9 block and head and flywheel(Allison) housing. SN near top, rear of block was stamped on top of new paint, several letters/numbers are illegible. Scraped all paint off, harder to read.
SVAO?865 possible, was in Ford truck, painted grey.
Does anyone know of any other possible location for SN?

Thanks, Ed in CO.

·
Registered
11,353 Posts
The only other place Ed was on the ID tag on the timing gear housing. The number stamped on the block indicates this engine was probably rebuilt. Cummins numbers don't normally contain alphas. That number may be part of a Ford part number or a rebuild code from some aftermarket company. The grey paint could most definitely be Ford from their medium duty line or a school bus.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't get the gear housing cover, so it is mainly a spare. Make sure and run a tap into the 4 engine mount bolt holes on the sides before you load them, mine were partially blocked with grey engine paint.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
11,353 Posts
On most any engine it's probably good advice to clean up all the holes with a tap. Not a huge investment as there are only a few sizes. A bottoming tap is probably ideal, especially on head bolts if studs might be in the plan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts