Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am swapping in a 5.9BT out of a 1994 dodge into my 1988 Chevy Crew cab 4X4. I am using two passenger side engine mounts out of a 2002 2500 Dodge. These are a little shorter for frame clearance. I have the engine mounts completed and am currently working on the crossmember. The engine mounts bolt to the top and bottom of the frame. The crossmember ties into the bottom of the frame as well as the bottom of the mounts. The first picture shows the beginnings of the mounts and the last two show the computer model and analysis. I think that this should stiffen up the frame as well as provide a good support for the engine. I thought I would share my engine mount design and see what everyone thought.
-Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
pretty cool, but be sure you don't have any interference with the starter motor...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A couple more pictures

Just a couple of progress pictures. I am going to remove the part of the crossmember that is done and finish the bottom part. The clearance to the axle is tight but enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the almost finished and the finished cross member. I powdercoated both the engine mounts and the crossmember. I will post pictures of the installed crossmember and mounts once I remember to take a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Installed crossmember

Here is the installed crossmember. Hopefully it should limit the vibration and movment of the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I'm running 8'' fronts with 5'' rear , but my crewcab has 11 leaf pack and I also have air bags .The bags have 10-15 psi to keep them from damage .

All the lift manufactures have no front springs made for CC and add the weight of the 6b .

The springs will sag about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 '' .

The rear you can replace them new springs or use a lift block , if you use a rear block than use a steel cast not the alum.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how much lift do you have on that truck? looks real good. gonna be doing that to mine soon.
I have a superlift 3.5" lift on the truck. The lift was advertized to be for the 1 ton pickups. This was the only lift I could find that actually said that it had a higher spring rate for the front springs. I don't know if they are actually a higher spring rate but I don't think that I could go any lower with the setup that I have. I have dropped aftermarket lowered bumpstops to limit the uptravel. I weighed both the cummins and the 454tbi that came out of the truck, 454=835 lbs with all accesories and the cummins was 1025lbs with everything but PS, starter and a fan. The truck does not sit any different than before (not that I can tell). I took measurments of the fender heights before the conversion but I still need to do an after measurement.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
never mentioned it previously but looks great..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm very impressed. I have an '85 K30 that I'm going to swap a '97 Cummins into. The motor has the original mounts. Do you recommend the 2 passenger side mounts from a 2002 and why? Thanks for the pics and descriptions as they have helped me to visualize what I need to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome design! If you don't mind me asking, what is your suspension and/or body lift height? I might have missed it if you posted already.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts