Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i'm thinking of doing a 50's ford f-1 4bt conversion. anyone done a similar swap? anyone that could offer any useful info would be great.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow,

I have not been doing a good job keeping up with the forum. I have been working on the truck now that it has cooled down though. Not even sure if I posed my build up on here now??? HMMMMM??

But anyway I am not doing an F1 but I am doing and F100. A 1956. I will post a link to where I am keeping up on the thread if I have not done it already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would be interested in any info on this swap as well - if anyone here has done, or is in the process of a 4BT swap(on an F100 or F1)? I just bought a 53 F250, and am really interested in seeing if I can drop a 4BT in the bay:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
http://www.schumanautomotive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2169&page=11

Well that is page 11 but you can scroll back to the beginning. No work on the actual 4bt part of it yet. I still have a bit of body work to do and it seems whenever I get a chance to do it, it begins to rain. But after that a 4bt is going to start to be fitted and she will be bolted back together.

·
Registered
212 Posts
YES.

Looks like I finally got an engine..Needs some love but as always I will get it there slowly but surely.

I will stop hijacking this thread in the next couple of weeks and transfer over everything to this forum.

·
Registered
66 Posts
my dad put a 4BT in his 54 F100 and he absolutely LOVES IT!!! never does less then 25 MPG and goes good he uses the GM flywheel housing and a aftermarket bellhousing and corrected the tilt and used a GM NV4500 he used a Ford 9" rear with 3:00 gears with a 31" tall tire he has done a best of 37MPG this 4bt came out of a trencher it does not have an aneroid valve but it is the bosch Rotery pump the engine is 85HP and moved the 4,460LB truck Just fine it will also pull he has towed 3 cars with it on a 4,000LB trailer and also a 5,000LB Bobcat S185 it will pull in 5th but EGTS go up they will hit 1,200* the engine is all stock highmout "ford style" turbo H1cand has only seen 10LBS of boost the truck is really fun to drive and gets tons of looks it is painted Vermeer Yellow "trencher" and its is close to Cat color so everyone asks if its a "CAT" I just smile and say nope its a CUMMINS!!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Awesome

Souns like I'm going to get some good mileage as I have the same set up sorta.

Using the 700R4 with a .70 overdrive and I have a 9" rear end. I don't know the exact gear ratio but I did spin it around and I did some looking up and I think it is one of the smallest gears they made. I think it is a 2.55. I only have 27" tires in the back so I bet that ratio will make up for the difference but I'm not sure what overdrive is in that 4500 tranny your dad has.

I plan on running an intercooler so hoping for a bit more efficiency out of the turbo. If I could get 40MPG and 200HP I would have a grin from one ear to the freaking other.

I'm going to start my thread here soon....week or two or three :). But please post up some of your dads pics and please tell me all you possible can. I would love to hear more about it. My truck is Yellow now (sorta) but is either going to be white or red. I haven't decided.

#1 Here are a couple pics of when I got it.
#2 After I blasted, boxed in, and painted the frame and got some new panels in over the rust.
#3 And now as it has the donor 6.2L that gave me a basically free rebuilt 700R4. I had nowhere to stick the 6.2L for now until it goes in the Land cruiser.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts