Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought a 82 chev c10 2wd with a 6.2 and th350 in it. i am planing to go to a 4bt and allison 6spd. one of the things i am curious about is the glow plugs, now i know that the cummins doesnt use plugs, but a heater grid. so do any of you know if i can use the relay from the glow plugs for the grid or not?
thanx

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I don't use them ,I install a starter relay and push button switch to run the heat grid.

The 4b didn't have a heater grid unless to plan to install one from a 6b , need to use 1 st gen or later 12v or 24v .

Scott

·
Registered
454 Posts
this engine doesn't really need any pre heating. ( direct injection ) unless you live somewhere really cold.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...I install a starter relay and push button switch to run the heat grid....
That is my plan.

I know nothing about the intake heater so I have a few questions.

Do I heat it before I crank the engine, if so how long before?

Then how long after engine starts running is the heater grid left 'on'?

Thanks for any help here,

Ken

·
Registered
854 Posts

The grid heater on our industrial 5.9's at work run the grid for 5 seconds before the preheat light goes off. Of course, it will all depend on temperatures. When I visit the folks in ND for Xmas I'll plug the block heater in when I can, other wise preheat for 5-10 seconds and once it starts hit the grid heat for 5 seconds every 15-20 seconds to help warm it up.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
That is my plan.

I know nothing about the intake heater so I have a few questions.

Thanks for any help here,

Ken
Yes ,my set up puch in button for 10-15 sec left off and then start engine .You may leave it on longer or take a few times if you live in a cold place or having started it for a lomg time.

If the grid is off as soon as you let go of the button , you don't want the grid to be on while the engine is running.

·
Registered
854 Posts
, you don't want the grid to be on while the engine is running.
If it is in the northern states/Canada, I don't see any problem with warming the grid in short bursts while warming the engine up - - watch the mirror for white smoke and add a little intake heat as needed to clear it up.

Don't the dodge trucks cycle the heater grid on warm-up like glow-plug engines do?

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,682 Posts
Yes ,my set up puch in button for 10-15 sec left off and then start engine .You may leave it on longer or take a few times if you live in a cold place or having started it for a lomg time.

If the grid is off as soon as you let go of the button , you don't want the grid to be on while the engine is running.
Actually the factory heater grid system does cycle the grid on after the engine has started (if needed). See here for a copy of the heater grid cycle's
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/cold_wx.htm

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks for the replys. Mine will be push button controlled and I didn't want to burn out the grid or something silly like that.

Here in Colorado we get some cold temps so I know it will be used.

Ken

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Actually the factory heater grid system does cycle the grid on after the engine has started (if needed). See here for a copy of the heater grid cycle's
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/cold_wx.htm
Yes that true if is hooked up like a factory set up .I have mine set up in it only comes on when I need it to so as long as the button is't pushed in it's not on or does't cycle.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts