Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a variety of posts that offer conflicting info. Some said that the 6.2 or 6.5 Duramax is an (almost) direct swap for a small block v8. Is this true? and if so, to what extent? I am looking at options to put into a van to help it get better mileage and have more longevity. I had originally given up on a diesel engine and was looking at putting a V8 into a Chevy Astro AWD when I started reading posts about these two engines being able to mate up with Chevy trannies and having the same engine size. Any help? If purchased new, and taken care of, are they likely to last 300K miles?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, sorry for the vagueness....the 6.2, 6.5 and Duramax are 3 different engines used in Chevys. Are any of them a physical size and mounting direct replacement for a small block V8? I realize that wiring and other things may be different. What I want to know is about the block size and mounting to a Chevy transmission.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 6.2 and 6.5 use the same sbc bell housing pattern and motor mount pattern. The 6.2 even uses the same exhaust manifold outlet positions. Both motors are bigger then a sbc The 6.5 turbo will be the biggest. I do not know if it will fit in an Astro van most likely only a 6.2 will.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, sorry for the vagueness....the 6.2, 6.5 and Duramax are 3 different engines used in Chevys. Are any of them a physical size and mounting direct replacement for a small block V8? I realize that wiring and other things may be different. What I want to know is about the block size and mounting to a Chevy transmission.
6.5 and 6.2 are the same with a different bore, later had different injector angles. This is ignoring intake and exhaust manifolds.
They were design to drop in anywhere a sbc came out of. Bell housing is the same as sbc and uses same motor mounts (different clam shells).

-Olds

·
Registered
124 Posts
i should clarify. when i say sbc came out of i mean a v-8. From what i hear they are tight in s10 and steering shafts are issues. It depends on how much time you have. A 6.5 turbo would need to be a center mount turbo which uses different heads and the block has some different ports drilled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts