Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, please don't murder me for asking about this, but I have an 01 Dakota approaching 200k on its 4.7l V8. I am looking at diesel swaps as I intend to do some major off roading and the torque and fuel efficiency would make the diesel a great alternative to a rebuild.

My intention is a 6.2 Chevy motor. I chose this because it has almost no electrics to hook up. I would ideally like a 700r4 to go in with this swap, but I don't know much about cutting and welding, so I'm looking for an "as close to bolt in" as possible.

My questions are:
1. Will this bolt up to a 42re/45rfe/46re?
2. If 1 = no, where can I find the right adapter?
3. How will I signal the transmission it's time to shift?
4. How much work is going to be required to get the motor in? Am I going to need to modify the firewall?
5. I know I will need to replace the gauges, but will the speedometer at least work?

6. Would it be easier/cheaper (eg. mostly just "bolt in") to go with a 4bt and try my hand at wiring?

I really appreciate any advice you folks can garnish for me.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
my first question is what is the reason other than the tired motor that you would want to use a dakota? You could probably sell the dakota and buy a ex military chevy with a 6.2 or 6.5 and be ahead of the game.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I know you don't want to hear it but your on a cummins website so I'll throw this out for you....

If your doing all on the basis of no electronics.... wouldn't you want a cummins? Soley for the fact that it won't leave you stranded like the nightmare that is the 6.2? (yadda yadda I know if you take care of them this and that... just like whateveryone says about the early version of the 6.0L ford)

I just can't get past the poor architecture and weak components taht make up the 6.2..... there was a reason Frito Lay etc replaced an entire fleet of 6.2L gm motors with 3.9L cummins.....the same (read zero electronics) smaller displacement, better MPG, reliability, and better power to boot...)

just confused thats all.....

Being different?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know you don't want to hear it but your on a cummins website so I'll throw this out for you....

If your doing all on the basis of no electronics.... wouldn't you want a cummins? Soley for the fact that it won't leave you stranded like the nightmare that is the 6.2? (yadda yadda I know if you take care of them this and that... just like whateveryone says about the early version of the 6.0L ford)

I just can't get past the poor architecture and weak components taht make up the 6.2..... there was a reason Frito Lay etc replaced an entire fleet of 6.2L gm motors with 3.9L cummins.....the same (read zero electronics) smaller displacement, better MPG, reliability, and better power to boot...)

just confused thats all.....

Being different?
Other than the 6.2 being a nightmare and leaving one stranded, I'd agree 100%. In the end, you'd be far, far better off with something else. A 4B3.9 would probably be ideal. You'd have a better, more efficient engine and it'd probably be an easier swap too.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Other than the 6.2 being a nightmare and leaving one stranded, I'd agree 100%. In the end, you'd be far, far better off with something else. A 4B3.9 would probably be ideal. You'd have a better, more efficient engine and it'd probably be an easier swap too.
Money and experience usually tell the truth..... so many companies pulling 6.5 and 6.2L GM diesels and replacing them with 3.9L wasn't done soley for 'just because.'

Just the maintence cost and rate of failure was well..... higher then could financially be endured by a for-profit business.....

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
it's easier and cheaper to buy a mid 80's chev with a 6.2........

·
Registered
26 Posts
Okay, please don't murder me for asking about this, but I have an 01 Dakota approaching 200k on its 4.7l V8. I am looking at diesel swaps as I intend to do some major off roading and the torque and fuel efficiency would make the diesel a great alternative to a rebuild.

My intention is a 6.2 Chevy motor. I chose this because it has almost no electrics to hook up. I would ideally like a 700r4 to go in with this swap, but I don't know much about cutting and welding, so I'm looking for an "as close to bolt in" as possible.
My questions are:
1. Will this bolt up to a 42re/45rfe/46re?
2. If 1 = no, where can I find the right adapter?
3. How will I signal the transmission it's time to shift?
4. How much work is going to be required to get the motor in? Am I going to need to modify the firewall?
5. I know I will need to replace the gauges, but will the speedometer at least work?

6. Would it be easier/cheaper (eg. mostly just "bolt in") to go with a 4bt and try my hand at wiring?

I really appreciate any advice you folks can garnish for me.
I will take the other side and say the 6.2 is a good choice, because parts are cheap, and available. It makes adequate HP for the application and they are easy to work on. It probably will be a tight fit, as mine was in the Jeep Grand Cherokee, I had to do some small firewall modifications, with some custom headers it probably would not have needed the firewall mods. There still will be wiring you need to do. Now is it right for the Dakota, you have to decide.

I did mine because I had the engine and Jeep. It was a cheap swap for me dollars wise, but there is alot of time put into it. If you are going to do it, I would use the GM transmission and TC and not worry about any adapters. If you use the GM 700R4 all you need is the cable from the IP to the transmission for shifting.

Good luck if you proceed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts