Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start my swap from a 92 6.5 TD to a 94 12v. I have the complete donor vehicle, so any parts I need are there. The question I have is do you reuse the chevy glow plug relay/controller, or use the one off the dodge?

thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I don't use the Gm contoler , I just wire up the dodge grid heater on a push botton switch and starter solenoid.

Many different way to hook them up and depends on how you want it to look.
Less is better for me .

Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, I will give that a try. I wasn't sure what the easiest way was, but that sounds pretty simple.. thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I used my gp unit. It works ok but it need to stay on longer. still working on getting the bugs out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used my gp unit. It works ok but it need to stay on longer. still working on getting the bugs out.
JK,

You can extend your cycle time on your glow plug controller by installing a 2 watt - 10 ohm resistor (available at Radio Shack)
It gets installed in the wire that goes in "c" terminal on the 85-93 glow plug controller.

·
Registered
137 Posts
JK,

You can extend your cycle time on your glow plug controller by installing a 2 watt - 10 ohm resistor (available at Radio Shack)
It gets installed in the wire that goes in "c" terminal on the 85-93 glow plug controller.
Well here is what my problem is. It will run for about 15 secs then once I start the engine it will not come back on. If I start the engine before the cycle is done it will just shut off. With my 6.5 it used to cycle for about 2 times while it was running but not with the cummins. Not sure what I am going to do for that. I am thinking of hooking it up to my iat sensor but not sure if that will help. Actually not sure what sensor makes it cycle while the 6.5 was running so I can duplicate it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
JK,
Are you still using the 95 controller? It is cycled by the PCM. I use the 85-93 controller for my swaps.

Virgil

·
Registered
137 Posts
ic. I might put a dummy colant switch in there since I still have the connector for it still attached or figure out how I can get it to come on when I want using the controller. I am using my 95 controller.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts