Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'd like to start by saying hello to everyone. I've been browsing the site for a while now and have found some pretty good stuff! Okay so I've been really thinking about a 12v swap and needed some questions answered. My truck is a 93 GMC C2500 (2wd). It's a regular cab long bed. I have a GM 14 bolt rear end with 4.10's. My biggest concern would be the front end. I've read where some people say the IFS is fine and some say swap in a SFA. The truck also has a 4l80. How hard would that be to mate to a 12v? Any help is appreciated guys. Thanks!

·
Registered
667 Posts
My truck is a 93 GMC C2500 (2wd)......................My biggest concern would be the front end. I've read where some people say the IFS is fine and some say swap in a SFA.
You have a 2WD. Swapping IFS for SFA applies to 4WD.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd get a 47rh dodge trans if wanting to keep it automatic. You'd have less headaches and come out prolly cheaper and better in the long run.

If converting it to 4wd, I'd put a straight axle in it. Much easier and better than trying to get the chevy IFS in there, you'd basically have to cut the frame off at the firewall and weld a chevy IFS frame on. If it was factory 4wd I'd leave the IFS alone. Here's a guy that converted a 2wd to 4wd, http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?17312-Solid-Axle-Swap

You should be fine running the 2wd IFS. Check your lower ball joints for slack. I think it will hold it up fine, if not you could swap in some heavier rate 1ton springs or crew cab springs.

I'm swapping a 5.9 into a 2wd crewcab 93 chevy dually. http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?17246-1993-Crew-Cab-Chevy-C3500-5.9-swap-advice Few pics here, http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/album.php?albumid=286

·
Registered
28 Posts
What did you bolt to your 4l80e-what did it require??
Thanks
I kept the 4L80E in mine to help simplify the conversion. It holds up fine but it was expensive. It was about $1200 for the adapter and controller.

I am not sure if you can use your factory controller since you are already a diesel, this is something you could look into.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The 2wd ifs will hold up fine. My front end is about 1.5" lower with the cummins mounted. As long as the ball joints are in good shape everything will be fine. I plan to eventually either swap springs or put a spacer in to level it out a bit. But it rides great, and the steering still feels like stock.

Sent from my old skool Droid

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 2wd ifs will hold up fine. My front end is about 1.5" lower with the cummins mounted. As long as the ball joints are in good shape everything will be fine. I plan to eventually either swap springs or put a spacer in to level it out a bit. But it rides great, and the steering still feels like stock.
gr8shot...are you still driving your '95? Was it a 3/4 ton? I've got a 3/4 ton'94 Suburban 2wd and thinking about a Cummins swap. I notice you said it gets 23mpg. I discussed with a friend today about using the 6bt 12V - he is a Cummins devotee for last 30 years and said I'd only get 12-15 at best and to not believe I could get better than that. In the past I've read I should be able to get into the 20's. My 6.5L gives me 18-19 highway...hard to think about taking that 3-4mpg hit. Did you modify a front frame cross-member to do the swap?
Interested to hear your input.
TIA if you can.
Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts