Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a single cylinder air cooled 6.5hp lister that's destined for a super split log splitter similar to Grigg's repower with a baby kubota. I'm hoping someone here might know a little more about this thing than I do.

I don't see any type of throttle control, just "run" and "off". The tag lists 6.5hp at 3600rpm; I would really like to run this thing around ~2000rpm as that should be all the torque I need to run the splitter and not turn diesel into excess noise. That even possible or just run it as is and don't touch it?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
That is certainly an AC1. The AC1 has a 3" bore, 2-5/8" stroke (304cc) displacement. It produces a maximum of 11.6lb/ft torque @ 2500rpm. The tag shows that your engine was built in 1990 and is the 7,244th AC1 built. It operates in an anti-clockwise direction and has a spec number of 53. Your engine has a fixed speed governor, and is adjustable from 2200 to 3600rpm. The blower inside of the flywheel will not produce a sufficient amount of cooling air flow below 2200rpm in a loaded state. I can probably send you a copy of the service manual for that engine. I have collected quite the library of Lister literature over the years,

Chris

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
I had the same thoughts on my little Kubota... And in practice it did need more RPM to make the necessary power. I also ended up backing off the fuel so it wouldn't lug trying to recover RPM. Now it does an excellent job, plenty quick, and does not overheat or toss the belts like it did with the pump stock. Less instant torque is a good thing when trying to get those flywheels going again, there is no real rush so don't strain the engine trying to do it in a split second.

Sounds like a good plan altogether and will make for a real nice splitter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same thoughts on my little Kubota... And in practice it did need more RPM to make the necessary power. I also ended up backing off the fuel so it wouldn't lug trying to recover RPM. Now it does an excellent job, plenty quick, and does not overheat or toss the belts like it did with the pump stock. Less instant torque is a good thing when trying to get those flywheels going again, there is no real rush so don't strain the engine trying to do it in a split second.

Sounds like a good plan altogether and will make for a real nice splitter.
Thanks for the input! Any idea what rpm you're running at now?

Playing tetris on my pallet rack tonight, the damn piece of left over sheet metal enclosure was literally 1" too wide. So I decided to pull the lister down and strip all the crap I don't need off it. Put some fresh oil in it, hooked up a battery and she cranks over perfectly. Sweet!

If anyone wants anything in the picture, hit me up and just cover shipping. I'm only going to keep the filter base and hose ends.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Finally got the funds together to order up an HD Supersplitter and had some fun over the last 2 days. Brought the engine down to about 2200-2300rpm and it has plenty of oompf. Happy to report it works like a champ and zero issues! Full day of splitting planned for tomorrow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How did the wood splitting go?
Works like a champ! I'm definitely going to build a log lift though, I don't do much big stuff, but the few times I come across them, it's would be nice to just roll them over to the splitter and not have to lift.

I did another 4 cords today with it, made a hell of a stack in short order!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts