Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a GM 6.5l bellhousing for a NV4500 will bolt to the GM bell housing adapter found in a P30 bread truck w/ TH465 trans.

I have a '93 chevy 6.5l diesel (blown up) with an NV4500. My plan is to do a 4bt swap into a '97 TJ. I would like to use everything out of the truck from the engine block back. I assume all I need to do is redrill the 6.5l flywheel to the 4bt bolt pattern.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I assume all I need to do is redrill the 6.5l flywheel to the 4bt bolt pattern.
You'll need to use the 8 bolt Cummins flywheel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vr1967 - Can you elaborate as to why it won't work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
bump

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 93-95 slave cyl is on the passenger side. I was eyeballing it once, but I believe there will be interferience with the slave, but i have never actually had one up to an adapter to compare.
If I can find someone close that has an adapter, I have a few of the early bellhousings and can verify.

Virgil

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd like to know!

Let me know what you find out about that. I have a 93' GMC with at 350. If i can bolt it up using a Chev adapter instead of searching for a new trans or a new input shaft and bellhousing that would be a whole lot easier. I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking if the slave cylinder interfered with the bellhousing adapter, I could machine the adapter. It doesn't look like there are any mounting holes in this area.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The 93-95 slave cyl is on the passenger side. I was eyeballing it once, but I believe there will be interferience with the slave, but i have never actually had one up to an adapter to compare.
If I can find someone close that has an adapter, I have a few of the early bellhousings and can verify.

Virgil

I am using an NV4500 with the external slave cylinder that came from behind a 350 gasser in a 1994 Chevy 3500HD two wheel drive truck. I used everything from the truck except for the flywheel, including the almost brand new 12" clutch and pressure plate that was in the truck. I did have to modify the Cummins/Chevy adaptor for the external slave to fit, but it was only mild removal of material in a very meaty area of the adaptor. I posted a bunch of pics to Webshots when I first started my swap, here are a couple of links to pics I took of the grinding I did to make it fit:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2931778410100099807afJDGX
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2900051210100099807YymBIH
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2883478260100099807eAbdVi

I have been driving the truck since April now and have right around 6,000 miles on the swap and everything is working great. Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks,
I learned a good bit here too. I knew there was some interference possibility with the starter.
As most know, there is no Cummins input shaft for the early 6.34 low geared GM trans, (93-94) so this will help with swaps.
I have used a 95 GM trans, it has the same low as the Dodge (5.61) but the Dodge retainer will need to be machined down, as the 95 still used the small register case. Also the bolt holes in the retainer will need to be elongated. This is to use the 1" longer Cummins input shaft. I did this swap on a 95 3500HD, with a 93 6bt that had a Getrag behind it originally. I changed input shaft, retainer, and used the Advanced Adapters Getrag/NV4500 swap bellhousing, as the clutch had just been changed in the Dodge before the countershaft bearings went out in the Getrag.

Sorry for the rambling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Adaptor

So the adapter that you used and modified was the chev adapter that are for the th400, th350, 700r, and so on. Hmmm looks like this swap could turn out to be a little easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts