Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST BOUGHT SOME 6 bt cummins engines and after looking at them i noticed on the front harmonic balancer - pulley etc. it has 2 180 degree slots cut in the balancer and a sending unit bolted to the timming cover corresponding with the slots. is this an electronic tach sensor setup ? engine is 1 st gen 6bt, 12 valve. if this is a tach setup sure would work good on a 4 bt also.
bob

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,680 Posts
I JUST BOUGHT SOME 6 bt cummins engines and after looking at them i noticed on the front harmonic balancer - pulley etc. it has 2 180 degree slots cut in the balancer and a sending unit bolted to the timming cover corresponding with the slots. is this an electronic tach sensor setup ? engine is 1 st gen 6bt, 12 valve. if this is a tach setup sure would work good on a 4 bt also.
bob
Yes, those slots are for the factory tach sensor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That is what I have been looking for to make my tach work...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I would confirm the information regarding the slots. The tach sensor is what it is. The slots are very likely the indicator of a good or no good balancer, the alignment of them or something, I have read something along those lines in the past but do not have an absolute answer for you on it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The info I read was from the 89' FSM Diesel Supplement, the slot I recalled reading about was actually an index line on the front of the damper. If there is seperation or misalignment of more than 1/16" or 1.59mm it is recommended you replace the damper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts