Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
The NV5600 is a direct bolt on. You need every thing that was bolted on the 6BT including the starter, the adapter the starter bolts onto, flywheel, clutch assembly, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
correct, I am putting a 5600 behind my 4BT. It is massive and heavy but will be nice when done I figure.. They are expensive though...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nv5600

How does the NV5600 fit in most applications? From the pictures that I have seen it looks alot bigger than the NV4500. But from what I can figure it would be a bit better choice if you have the funds. I am planning on putting my 4BT in a 72 Chevy pickup and the overall size of the transmission is the big question I have.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This may help for size comparison and swapping out of NV4500 with NV5600

http://quad4x4.com/NV5600.htm

Keep in mind that internal parts for the NV5600 are getting hard to come by...

I think the ZF 6 speed is still in production, and adapters are out there; if you really want six speeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How does the NV5600 fit in most applications? From the pictures that I have seen it looks alot bigger than the NV4500. But from what I can figure it would be a bit better choice if you have the funds. I am planning on putting my 4BT in a 72 Chevy pickup and the overall size of the transmission is the big question I have.
is it true that the 5600 has an integral bellhousing? if it does did any other mfg's use the 5600 or is it possible to remove the housing?

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
yes its true.. This is where I got burned, I heard it was integral but took a look and it is aluminum so I thought BS.. Bought a wrecked with broken bellhousing. Had to pay another $600 to have no bellhousing put on.. Then they said synchros were worn while in there, so I did a complete rebuild. I am about $3G into it all in all... Unbelieveable...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is the ZF 6 speed American made or an import? I am not familiar with it. I'm curious who made it.

Also, what vehicles can you find them? Thanks for any input....... :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
ZF trany is in the Ford Super Duties and some GM 2500 & 3500 Trucks I think around 2001

It is the ZF S6-650
http://www.drivetrain.com/zfford6speed.html

The GM 6-spd are hard to come by, haven’t seen one, just read about them.

They are lighter than the NV5600, with similar ratings and have a built in trany cooler.

·
Registered
329 Posts
zf

ZF is a German product....... from the people who helped engineer the transaxle in the Pantera.....some useless knowledge for ya.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, Thanks for the link. I am not a ford guy, but I know they have durable drive lines. This is a good option.

I like that it has a lube pump and a cooler. Very Good option......bounce

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes its true.. This is where I got burned, I heard it was integral but took a look and it is aluminum so I thought BS.. Bought a wrecked with broken bellhousing. Had to pay another $600 to have no bellhousing put on.. Then they said synchros were worn while in there, so I did a complete rebuild. I am about $3G into it all in all... Unbelieveable...
would it be possible to to make an adapter plate to mate it to another style bell-housing?

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
possibly but it would have to be custom unless anyone else has a lead on them. Also not sure it's worth the $$ with the other 6 speed options out there?

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I just came across this... Nice Ken, LOL... I'm 6'5 by the way... :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well---------They used to say there's no substitute for cubic inches, but I'll say there's no substitute for usable gears . My 1 ton pickup is geared with a 5 speed main and 3 speed auxilliary............gives me 15 forward and 3 reverse ratios .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts