·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Come on, you know you want to make your own custom job anyway, just do it. :D

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #742
LOL what I'd like is for a buddy on the other side of the world to give me a price on one of these stock manifolds and let me pay him to send me one :D hint, hint, wink, wink....

I'd like to make my own intake but there is so much custom work on this engine alone (not to mention the rest of the truck) I'd love to be able to just almost bolt something on. Even if I could get one of these 4be manifolds I'd still have to cap off the original inlet then chop off the other end facing the front of the engine and weld on a V band flange so I can connect the intercooler tubing so even this intake wouldnt be a 100% pure bolt on.

Damn custom engine, this thing better bad ass when I get it finished or I'm gonna dump this thing in a deep lake and forever refer to it as "the devil".

One of the other aspects of all this work besides to be functional and hopefully meet my goal of 600hp is to make it all look really good and I like the look of that intake, after I sand blast it and maybe nickel coat or anodize it I bet it would look really good.

·
Super Moderator
8,747 Posts
Very interesting that the manifold bolts right up I wonder how it sits, I'd hate to see its outlet come out right in the way of my supercharger although I guess I could move it lol. Wish I had one close I could try out but I have never even heard of one here in the states.

Looks like it makes the plenum sit below the runners when its on the engine. correct? I guess it would be easy to flip it upside down so the outlet is facing rearward then just weld up the original inlet and cut a hole in the "new" forward facing opening and weld a V band flange onto it like I plan to do with a sheet metal intake anyway hmm..... now I need to look into this intake more.
I'll see what I can come up with. These manifolds have an inlet at each end, the unused one gets a plate bolted over. They've also got some steel plugs which might need replaced with welded in aluminium plugs at 70psi. I don't see that scaring you.

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #744
Thanks Dougal I think this would be alot easier to slightly modify than to have to make an entire custom sheet metal intake. I have plenty of custom fab on this engine as it is lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Randy,

I just have to say WOW. I am thoroughly impressed with everything that's gone on in this build, and if I have more time tonight I'm gonna finish the last 6 pages. You have sent out some serious inspiration to my neck of the woods, and I hope to be doing my own booty fab-type work in the not-so-distant future. The limiting factor now is... well, everything! But you've got my eyes looking in different areas - now I'm not so focused on working towards a 4bt in my Scout II. Then again, after my education is said and done with, I might just slap in a Lycoming and ditch the radiator, LOL

So THANK YOU! for taking the time to extensively document the build and post up your thought process as you move onto the next step. It is never less than amazing to see what resourceful people with a little bit of plasma-cutter time can come up with at home. I can only hope to get half as much done when the time comes!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Kick A_ _ build

Wow that has to be the biggest drive pully I have ever saw:rasta:
Can't wait to see some picks of the truck going together
I really like the jeep build to.
nice work.:D

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #747
Thanks guys I cant wait to see this thing running but I am about to leave on a 40 day job UGH!!! just when I was finally making progress.

I have been considering a new chassis idea :D I am thinking of an all wheel drive modern hydroformed chevy 1/2 ton rolling chassis with a well built 4l85e (wish PCS would finish the new 6l90e controller). How cool would 4 wheel burnouts be and traction all the time even on good quality street tires :D Its just an idea right now luckily the 4 link and air suspension I have sitting in the shop can be made to work on anything so I'll give it some more thought while I'm gone.

I did run across a thread on a ford site about a a guys review of the empire diesel procharger kit on his 99 F250 7.3L powerstroke. He says he loves it and runs 15-20psi at highway speeds, 3-5 on a downward hill decelerating and 50-55psi max along with much lower EGT's he also says mpgs are 17mpg with a very heavy foot.
I have always limited boost through tuning while at highway speeds to keep mpg's up since more boost is more drive pressures on the turbo and I have always been rewarded with better mpgs doing so. I have always wondered what it would be like to have cool boosted air filling the engine cruising down the road with 0 drive pressures looks like I'll be able to find out soon.

A few months ago I called Guy at So Cal diesel about making a CNC porting program for my 4bd1 head I guess I'm gonna have to finally ship him a head and see what he can do about it to handle all this air lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,747 Posts
I have been considering a new chassis idea :D I am thinking of an all wheel drive modern hydroformed chevy 1/2 ton rolling chassis with a well built 4l85e (wish PCS would finish the new 6l90e controller). How cool would 4 wheel burnouts be and traction all the time even on good quality street tires :D Its just an idea right now luckily the 4 link and air suspension I have sitting in the shop can be made to work on anything so I'll give it some more thought while I'm gone.
I like this idea. I have enough traction problems on a damp road with a basically stock engine and fulltime 4wd. Yours must be downright silly.
What can you do to get a strong enough front diff without going too tall?

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #750
Yeah I remember when gale banks son posted pics of the engine a year or so ago on comp d. I had mine in the works well before banks let that one out of the bag lol.

Dougal I've been considering using a chevy frame maybe a late model with hydroformed frame they have a stationary diff with it's I could just install my rear axle and 4 link make some body mounts and go. I could still get the truck as low as it is now so no worries on looks.

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #751
Yeah I remember when gale banks son posted pics of the engine a year or so ago on comp d. I had mine in the works well before banks let that one out of the bag lol.

Dougal I've been considering using a chevy frame maybe a late model with hydroformed frame they have a stationary diff with it's I could just install my rear axle and 4 link make some body mounts and go. I could still get the truck as low as it is now so no worries on looks.

·
Super Moderator
8,747 Posts

Oh I'm not worried about being low for the look. Stability counts when you're four wheel drifting.:grinpimp:

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #753
your missing the point. If the truck is sitting pretty low who is gonna think it's a 4x4? Probably noone unless they look underneath. Most will think it's just a lowered old ford that will never hook up hehe. And yes stability is key when drifting around corners lol

·
3,907 Posts
Randy, my only concern would be getting the Chevy IFS front to survive the beating.

I know your truck would still be light (for a truck, what 3500 ish with all the extra drivetrain?) but the extra heavy duty stuff would need to be there or I would expect "issues".

I know someone will post something about "if you drive it sensibly", but I think we all know you will beat on it like any of the rest of us would (especially me :grinpimp:).

On the other hand if you left harder compund tires on it (you did say "good quality street tires", they don't have to be DOT cheaters ;) ) it might survive.:eek:

Looking forward to seeing you turning 360s in its' own wheelbase, if we can see through the smoke.:D

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #755
Hey Eric glad to see you back around. The chevy it's would hold up good I've ran nothing less than 500+ rea wheel hp through mine with a ton of 4x4 runs at the strip with dual stages of nitrous in my 7300 pound truck although that's in the HD truck so I'm not so sure about the light duty pumpkin up front. I have been thinking I could just buy a 2500hd chassis and chop it then install the 9.5" 14 bolt I already have since it has the right bolt pattern and is lighter than the 11.5aam axle. I don't know there are lots of options I am considering right now.

I did some research and the trailblazer SS guys have blown those AWD cases already so I don't think they would last behind my little 4 banger. On the other hand I have thought about just going ahead with the 5r110 and putting a part time case behind it so I can at least have great traction in a straight line.

I'm not sure what to do. I found a guy that makes a part to put a 4l80/85e in front of the AWD case and I know the 4l85e when built will handle 800rwhp in a mustang so I'd imagine it would work in my 3800lb truck with 600hp. Oh what to do what to do.

I'm still on the search for the elusive 4be intake since I'd rather not make one at this point. I gotta go price rolling chassis now.

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #757
Thanks Dougal, if your ever in the USA look me up I'll buy you a beer :D

After Dougal getting me all excited about the all wheel drive setup I spent the day thinking about it more and have decided to go AWD. I plan to strip my current F100 down to bare rolling chassis frame and only keep the body. I have no idea what its worth so can anyone tell me what they think the complete chassis is worth with the aftermarket 20" wheels and new tires? I will probably list it for sale in a few weeks when I get home and get it stripped but I have no idea what its worth with the IRS and IFS.

I have been looking at chevy 1500 and 2500 chassis for the 4x4 part but I havent left out escalades and tahoes since I know I will have to shorten it no matter what. I like the idea of using a 1500 chassis since the frame is lighter and not nearly as tall I can always swap in the 2500 diff later if needed but I dont know. I do have an 8 lug 9.5" 14 bolt I plan on using so maybe I should just start with a 2500 frame to begin with and be done with it. After some looking I think I can get away with an NV149 AWD T case from a silverado SS or similar vehicle, guys are saying they live up behind 1200hp big blocks so I should be fine with mine since it will be 98% street driven. As for transmissions I really wanted the 5R110 since I made the adapter but I'm thinking I can build a 4L85E to handle this thing, maybe I'll finally get around to building those custom adapters for the chevy trannies that do away with the isuzu flywheel/housing.

So thats the plan for now let me know what you think.

·
3,907 Posts
I think the HDs have a different front setup (based on a D 60 or something similar I think?).

Would be a PITA to fit that diff in there with the Isuzu too.

Not impossible, just dificult.

There was an AWD full size GMC, I forget what year, 1 year only :( it's called a C3.

I think it was new enough to have the hydro formed frame too.

IIRC gasser only, but might be a tougher AWD Tcase.:confused:

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #759
The HD's use a 9.25" aluminum front diff that is extremely tuff for drag racing (Ive never seen one tear up even with a 1700 wheel hp Dmax). I've never heard of a C3 but I'll try looking it up. I had been thinking of the NV149 from a silverado SS or similar vehicle, I know you have to swap the input shaft on it for a custom unit that is 32 spline so it will work with the 4l85e.

741 - 760 of 785 Posts