Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks.

I'm so excited to start my project. This weekend, my best friend Mike with help of his scout buddy John, we pull the 4bt out of the truck. I will tell you this. Those two guys took everything off to pull the motor in little over an hour. We had the motor pulled in about 3 hours. We only cut two wires. Everything else was disconnected. Did I tell you I'm excited? Here are some pictures.

Next step is to clean the motor and take measurement for motor mounts. I will try to get pictures of every thing and post them when I can. I will definitely be asking questions if I don't find them first.

Eugene

·
Registered
168 Posts
looks great! Any pics of the bronco you are converting? What trans are you going to run?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did a little more on the bronco. Set the motor in to measure for the motor mounts and cut the frame. I'm building the mounts this weekend and hope to have them welded next weekend. A couple of pictures.

Sorry Broncoboy. I didn't notice your post. I'm using a dodge a518 automatic. AA's nv4500 adapter for d20 works with the automatic.

Here a few pictures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This thread is a month old, and there are only 9 pictures to show for it? Is your picture snapping finger broke?:happyfinger:

Looking good, buddy. I'm looking forward to getting over to see it. bounce

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This thread is a month old, and there are only 9 pictures to show for it? Is your picture snapping finger broke?:happyfinger:

Looking good, buddy. I'm looking forward to getting over to see it. bounce
Finger is fine but brain farts a lot. I keep forgetting to bring the camera. See ya Saturday.

Eugene

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleaned up the motor and painted it. Cummins beige from napa auto. I use a high temp silver on the exhaust and turbo but it came out like satin/chrome silver. I might have to change it.

Eugene

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More pictures. The motors is sitting on the mounts and I just need to make the trans mount.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you have any specs or pics of the mounts before you installed the motor so I could get a better idea of how you fabbed them up?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pmctighe. I copy Jon at JB Fab's mount for the passenger side. I just made a bracket for the driver side. The hard part is drivetrain placement. I don't have the brackets close up since I forgot to bring the camera. We decided to just stab the motor/trans right after the plates were welded. PM me your email address and I'll send what I got. I'll try to get more later this week.

JakeDiesel. I'm running a dodge auto, a518 nonlockup tc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome to 4btswaps. There are quiet a few bronco projects here. You can do a search on specific question you have. There a couple in classicbroncos.com also.

Do you have a certain question you want to know? With putting in the 4bt, its really up to what you want to do. There are some great examples to give you ideas like motor mounts. The hardest part IMO. I'll answer any questions as well as I can. I'm pretty new myself. Everything is a learned process.

Eugene

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'd thought I'd show some progress pictures. I've got a bad motor tilt. I mount the motor high so I don't have to mess w/ front crossmember. I don't have a whole lot of room between the motor and firewall to move it back more. I'm going to lift the body so I can move the trans mount higher to level the drivetrain. Still got some work but I hope to start it before Christmas. I know I just jinxed myself.

Eugene

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd thought I should update w/ some pictures. My motor/trans/tc tilt is bad. This is what happens when someone that doesn't know anything do builds like that but I sure learned a lot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts