Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 6AT with some literature but thought I'd post up the basic info such as a CPL or two that might help someone- keep in mind that these motors came in several configurations and not all came equipped with the same parts- industrial, automotive and marine were the main variants. AFAIK the 6AT3.4 was a versatile motor promoted in a campaign to replace gasoline motors due to their higher RPM range and as you may know was orginally an ONAN design..

Also- don't use solvent (laquer thinner esp.) to clean off paint off of your engine tag- it will clean off all the info too! (OOOPS!)

6AT3.4
Engine No. 53120873
Advertised HP [email protected] rpm
Static timing .98 mm
Fuel rate @ advertised HP 50.33 mm3
CPL 1177
MFG date 9/89
Dry engine weight ( no flywheel or housing) 695lbs or 302 kg
Displacement 3.4l or 210 in2
compression ration 20.5 to 1
firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4

specs were for a turbocharged motor.

I will post turbo and injector info if needed later

Additional motor CPL - automotive (old UPS motor) 53111910

No other info available at this time.

I am trying to run this info through CNW and see if I can recover any of the info I wiped off the first motor, and the second as well.

The first motor had a Bosch ECU for the glo plugs and 3 of which were recently replaced. I am curious if they really need to run after combustion and will research how they are cycled. I have the Operation and Maintenance bulletin 3810377-01, Parts catalogue s (2-3884287-01 and 3884259), installation manual 3884538, A series engine familiarization 3387490, Engine installation drawings 3884538, Shop manual and bulletins 3810384-01.

I'm sorry but I don't have time to scan all of these but feel free see if you can still get this stuff from Cummins.. You can post up with questions but I don't get on here a lot.

Please post up with your 6AT info.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have one of these engines out of a ups truck but it doesnt have any tags or numbers on it. i assume the cpl will be the one you posted which is 53111910???? Do you know where to get parts for these motors at?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very likely it would match if it was an automotive vs. stationary (fixed rpm) engine and had not been rebuilt. I just bought a front, rear main seal and a valve cover gasket from my Cummins Northwest dealer (almost $100). You will need the engine number- check on the passenger side of the block under the exhaust manifold toward the rear, there may be an obscure little tag on there held on with some type of adhesive...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought a 54 gmc 3/4 ton dually flatbed with a 6 at mated to a turbo 400. A good friend of mine did the swap about 8 years ago. Was from a ups truck. Engine # 5311480. Ok, so I just had to pick up another one on craigslist. 2 is better than one, isn't it? The one on the pallet is #53110832. Just might put it into my '65 fj 45 landcruiser, but with a man tran. I welcome any info about these engines. I live in NW Washington state. Ordered a couple gaskets from Cummins NW. Do onan dealers stock parts too? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Onan is part of Cummins- should be the same unless the Onan dealer you speak of only deals in smaller items.. It looks like both of your motors' numbers are very close to the second one I listed. I still haven't stuffed one in any of my rigs, I want to see some pics of your 45 tho" !!!! It would power it better than the stock f motor for sure!

·
Registered
29 Posts
well since the 6AT is really a Onan engine, designed and built by Onan, before the merge.
Onan orig. called it a"L", Cummins changed it to A, (we already had a "L" engine)
well built, tough highspeed diesel, but EPA regs and the ever expanding B series
kinda squeezed it out of production. Shame of it is it made a really fine light truck engine.
Air-A-Plane Corp. had a bunch of them at one time. don't know where they all went to.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think I just found a couple air-a-plane motors. They came from portable air conditioners used at an airport. I've been running a ups motor in a Chevy for a few years. I have 4 engines now, with some extra Ford and GM mounts etc.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, this thread is not dead!!! I had a friend who scrapped some 6AT's from gensets!!!! I found out too late!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just got home with 2. L634T onans, these are going to be fun compared to the old ups 6at engines I have ran, these have solid lifters and stanadyne injection pumps, and they've never taken a ride in a dumpster. I have an early NV-4500 with the low first that will go on one, and the other gets the McLeod scatter shield and close ratio four speed muncie and back into my '67 swb Chevy.
The difference between an "A" and a "B" is about 200 pounds and 2,000 rpms
The difference between an onan and the cummins version is the solid cam, and onans weren't built with be injection pumps or automotive governors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
looking for ford mounts

I think I just found a couple air-a-plane motors. They came from portable air conditioners used at an airport. I've been running a ups motor in a Chevy for a few years. I have 4 engines now, with some extra Ford and GM mounts etc.
Hi i ive been watching these forums for a while i finily got me a 6at cummins for my 2000 ford 4x4 van no im just looking for motor mounts for ford and also a bellhousing adapter any info would be great

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is not much info or support out there but lewdon enterprises in Long Beach used to have a stash of parts. I bought a flywheel for a chevy configuration. Fabricate what you need or buy what will work.. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know I'm a little late to the party but I just fell into a plethora of onan l and cummins a diesel parts and engines. The guy I've been working with worked at onan and got ahold of some of the automotive parts as well as generator parts... He just wasn't big into diesels and decided to part with them. I have flywheels and bellhousing adapters and various motor mounts.... Not even sure what all is there yet. If you're still looking for info I have access to cpl numbers and service and parts manuals and many parts as well. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to swap one into first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I'm a little late to the party but I just fell into a plethora of onan l and cummins a diesel parts and engines. The guy I've been working with worked at onan and got ahold of some of the automotive parts as well as generator parts... He just wasn't big into diesels and decided to part with them. I have flywheels and bellhousing adapters and various motor mounts.... Not even sure what all is there yet. If you're still looking for info I have access to cpl numbers and service and parts manuals and many parts as well. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to swap one into first.
I just picked one of these up yesterday. I plan on putting it in alowered long box 86 c10. Mine didn't have the plate or flywheel however. Do you have any you'd want to part with?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have plenty of new and used parts and lots of resources available if you are looking for some info as well. Just send me a pm with what you are looking for specifically and I'll be able to let you know what I can do for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello fellas, I have a 78 blazer with a 6at swapped into it and mated to the factory 4speed standard sm465 and np205 transfer case. I also have one ton axles with 4.10 gearing and 37x12.5x17 tires. The truck will run about 65mph and does good on mileage, but I was wondering if any of yall have any knowledge as far as power mods.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts