Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
6at cummins

I have one that came off a portable refer unit from an Air Force Base. I can't remember what size turbo it has on it, but I'm sure if a person was to tweek the pump a little and add an intercooler along with a 3 inch pipe off a dodge you would be supprised. Not a power house, but good mpg's!!!
I drive my pickups like a car most of the time anyway. :grinpimp:

I plan on putin mine in a shortbed 4x4 chev. I bought a bellhousing and flywheel out of california a month ago and I'll adapt it up to a Getrag (5spd) that I rebuilt. (the ones out of a 89-93 dodge diesel) I have a HD241 from a newer dodge and a Drivers side drop front end off a (Ford). Just getin all of the parts together.
I did a google search and found parts here and there plus there is a couple of articles on Pirate 4x4 board that will show up on the google search. Oh, yea mine say Onan on them!!!
Let me know what you find. I saved a bunch of URL's to go back to if you wind up with not too much.

Larry

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not to change your post or anything, but about ten years ago there was a guy that had a 3.9 John Deere non turboed in a 59 ford half ton SWB 2WD pickup on his own web site. I contacted him and he sent several pictures, but that was a couple of hard drive crashes ago!!

All of that Shtuff is probably on a floppy somewhere! Way before CD burning, Zip drives and Thumb drives :rasta:
:beer:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 6AT for $700 that is in really good shape. But I have no manual to go by for torque specs or anything.. Does anyone know where I could get one? Does anyone know what the compression ratio is on these engines? Do they hold up well enough that I can turn it up to around 350ft lbs tq? How much boost can they take before the head gasket goes? These things are so interesting but I can't find anything on them.. If I ask anyone in town here they say "cummins, WHAT series??" everyone is clueless..

·
Registered
219 Posts
6at pumps

I have seen two different configurations using the stanadyne type found in chevy 6.2 diesels one stationary and the other a throttle application in a refer unit for the military (like I have) and the ve pump like in the 89-93 dodges for highway use.
Mine has a stanadyne pump that is set up for non stationary applications.
I have engine, getrag tranny w/t-case, and assorted parts
Right now I just need to figure out what to put it in for a build up.

Larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
the reason cummins doesnt know any thing about them is because they were made by onan before cummins bought them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I put a 6A3.4t (ONL634t) into a 1985 LandCruiser. Fit pretty well, though I had to lift it 4" and modify the oil pan... but using a common AA adapter was able to bolt it to stock 4 speed (later swapped to 5 speed). Motors can be found here: http://www.lewdon.com/diesel.html and if you get one, buy some of their garlic wine mustard... very good. Their price has gone up a bit.

Over all... the motor was... OK. Not great, not bad. Quieter then 4bt, but cannot be tweaked like the 4BT. I massaged everything I could, and I figure I was getting 140HP 3" exhaust, rebuilt injectors, new IP, intercooled... and was getting about 20MPG (3.73's, 5 speed, 33" tires). I wouldn't buy one again... though I only paid $200 for my first one (was in the newspaper... i bought some other stuff from Lewdon).

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's better to install something that has more support and is better suited to an automotive application. Your truck would be perfect for a 4bt that is except for the noise, right? I guess that's why you're looking for other options? Hotrodding something like the 6at will be limited as well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hmmm..

Rode in a FJ40, 6AT'd with propane and a 700R4 and it drove as good or better than a 2f As far as I could tell from the passenger's seat. Support might be an issue. I know the flywheel I need is obsolete. I know that they have a lot of gensets out there with the 6at and they usually will maintain the support for that kind of stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts