Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 12v conversion in my 1974 f-250 and trying to chase down a few oil leaks. I have a hose that comes off the rear of the block on the drivers side. It is a rubber hose maybe 12-16" long, only connected on one end, and just drips oil after driving. I was thinking at one time someone said this could be rerouted to drain back to the motor somehow??

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
That will be your crankcase breather.
There are units from a later engine that replace two of the rocker cover boxes and reduce the oil dripping or you can use an aftermarket catch can. Google Pro Vent for one style.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! Looking at some options now. Seems like a simple can with a breathable filter and a drain is all i need.

·
Registered
11,262 Posts
Most refer to that as the engine marking its territory. LOL. It's a very old school breather system for the crankcase. As was mentioned, you could place that hose in a drip can or plug that one and change 2 or 4 of the valve covers to a top system. Those usually route the breather to the air filter or you could set up a separate one. Below are a couple photos that show the dual valve cover breather. These were found on various industrial equipment but work fine on road vehicles. Pure Diesel Power sells the dual valve cover assembly for $169. At Cummins they are about double that.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. Thanks for the pics.

I Got to get something figured out. Making a mess of the driveway which in turn is giving the wife another reason to want me to get rid of the truck.

will one Of these inexpensive aluminum can take care of the issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trying to find a good place to mount the can does the catch can needed to be mounted lower than where the tube come out of the motor, to allow the oil to drain? Wasn't sure if I mounted higher if the oil would vent/drain properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts