Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I almost have all my parts rounded up....well at least they are all suppose to be on the way soon. I am using a 190HP(p pump), Ford 700 series truck engine and mating it to the TH475 already in the truck. I would like to go with a 5 speed, but it is not in my budget right now. I think the TH475 will be fine with a mild 6BT. I dont do alot of highway travel and if I do it is trailering, so top speed is not a real concern. I am planning to get a 4000RPM spring.

My question is with the 8degree tilt in the chevy adapter. I am wondering if it is feasible to run the transmission with the tilt and adjust my tcase shifter, or if it is better to go ahead and tilt the engine. I think it is the cosmetics of a twisted engine that bother me the most, but I think it is the best choice. It seems to me there could be transmission problems with an automtic tilted 8 degrees.

Let me know your thoughts...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Much better to tilt the motor.

Hey, it works for the BMW M3. :D Don't worry about the cosmetics.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hey guys, I am planning to get a 4000RPM spring.
My question is with the 8degree tilt in the chevy adapter. I am wondering if it is feasible to run the transmission with the tilt and adjust my tcase shifter, or if it is better to go ahead and tilt the engine. I think it is the cosmetics of a twisted engine that bother me the most, but I think it is the best choice. It seems to me there could be transmission problems with an automtic tilted 8 degrees.

Let me know your thoughts...
You dont want to be spinning a 6BT too long at anything like 4K.
The tilt is better off on the motor than the auto. Maybe split it 50:50 especially if you are planning on going to a 5 speed manual down the line. If the 10" tilt was all on the motor what when you change to a manual and don't need it? Will you change out the Chevy engine adapter for a dodge one? would you do the motor mounts again to take tilt out or live with it. Its always better to do things the way you want them first time. Can you not sell the chevy engine plate and TH475 and get a dodge adapter and dodge NV4500. The chevy adapters seem to fetch decent money and the dodge ones are cheap. Just a thought.

Gaza

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
If this way me and your plans to run the 5 spd build your mounts with no tilt and use a shim to tilt the engine to keep the trans happy and when it's time for the 5spd remove the shim .I wouldn't rebuild the mounts,just try to think ahead.

The 4000 gov springs ,just make sure you don't hold it there .

Make sure you have gauges .

Crewcab59

·
Registered
55 Posts
Four wheel drive trucks with automatic transmissions are designed to be in off camber situations. I build crawlers for a living and I have personally had my buggy leaning well past 30 degrees for the better part of a day.

You have to remember that the transmission has the pickup/filter very near the bottom of the pan. Atf sits well above the top edge of the pan well into the bottom of the trans. With that being said, it is pretty unlikely that you will get the puickup to suck air and cavitate.

The last four 6b swaps I have done also had the transmission tilted with one of those trucks pushing 150k on the odometer since the swap.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If this way me and your plans to run the 5 spd build your mounts with no tilt and use a shim to tilt the engine to keep the trans happy and when it's time for the 5spd remove the shim .I wouldn't rebuild the mounts,just try to think ahead.

The 4000 gov springs ,just make sure you don't hold it there .

Make sure you have gauges .

Crewcab59
Very interesing point. I had not thought about that. I completely understand not to hold the engine at 4000, but with no OD, I need more than 2700 RPM if I want to be able to pass someone on the highway. Hard to drive much faster than 70 with the tires screaming at me :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You dont want to be spinning a 6BT too long at anything like 4K.
The tilt is better off on the motor than the auto. Maybe split it 50:50 especially if you are planning on going to a 5 speed manual down the line. If the 10" tilt was all on the motor what when you change to a manual and don't need it? Will you change out the Chevy engine adapter for a dodge one? would you do the motor mounts again to take tilt out or live with it. Its always better to do things the way you want them first time. Can you not sell the chevy engine plate and TH475 and get a dodge adapter and dodge NV4500. The chevy adapters seem to fetch decent money and the dodge ones are cheap. Just a thought.

Gaza
The problem is not with getting the transmission it is with mating it to the NP205, doing drive shafts, front end if I go late model dodge, if old model getting a good Getrag and 205, adding a pedal assembly....etc....

I have done a fair amount on projects like this and I know that they always double what you plan on spending. This is my driver, so I need to get back on the road ASAP...so the time is also a factor.

I will begin gathering parts for a swap some day. I might end up building a bullet proof 4l80e and a custom case strengthener to mate like the 475 pan. Not sure at this point, but I do want OD down the road.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Four wheel drive trucks with automatic transmissions are designed to be in off camber situations. I build crawlers for a living and I have personally had my buggy leaning well past 30 degrees for the better part of a day.

You have to remember that the transmission has the pickup/filter very near the bottom of the pan. Atf sits well above the top edge of the pan well into the bottom of the trans. With that being said, it is pretty unlikely that you will get the puickup to suck air and cavitate.

The last four 6b swaps I have done also had the transmission tilted with one of those trucks pushing 150k on the odometer since the swap.
My reasoning was the same you mentioned...trying to talk myself into it. The pickup is pretty low to the bottom. Might make checking oil a pain...

·
Registered
17 Posts
If its just overdrive your after and the auto works for you just get a gear-vendor. Easy install and only 1 shaft to shorten. JMO

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If its just overdrive your after and the auto works for you just get a gear-vendor. Easy install and only 1 shaft to shorten. JMO
You know I have had that thought.....have not costed one out to this point.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well after taking the pan off of my 475 and seeing how deep the pan is, Im definatly not worried about the tilt. I have also been wheelin a auto for years now in the buggy, and other than being upside down on my lid, the tranny has always picked up fluid just fine. The tilt aint no thang:grinpimp:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tilt the Motor?

My question is with the 8degree tilt in the chevy adapter. I am wondering if it is feasible to run the transmission with the tilt and adjust my tcase shifter, or if it is better to go ahead and tilt the engine. I think it is the cosmetics of a twisted engine that bother me the most, but I think it is the best choice. It seems to me there could be transmission problems with an automtic tilted 8degrees.
I'd be tempted to tilt the engine; you'd have a lot more engine bay and firewall room for additional fuel and oil filter systems, etc on the (I assuming) driver's side, but:

I'd also measure the passenger v-e-r-y carefully to see what's going to pose a conflict with what's already there, and what is going to be very hard to get at for servicing.

On the '87-'98 Fords (for instance), there is a bad clearance problem between the a/c box and the turbocharger when the motor's mounted straight up, never mind a tilt. I wound up having to tilt my installation 5-degrees toward the driver's side for clearance--which can't be seen, if you're not told it's there.

That said, how obvious cosmetically is a 10-degree tilt? BMW's, Chrysler Slant Sixes, et al, had way more tilt, 30-45 degrees, and yeah, those were obvious.

Eddie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts