Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove the fan from a non-running/non-powered 6bt. What's the easiest way?

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Is it from a Dodge or an industrial unit?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The best way is to use fan hub wrenchs ,or if it put on tight you can use wrench and make a tool to hold the clutch.

**** left hand threads ****

I will take some pics of the right tool to use.

Scott

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
You need a wrench that fits the hex on the fan shaft. Then you need a pair of channel locks that you can grab the pulley and hold next to the timing cover. The fan is removed by turning the wrench clockwise while facing the front of the engine. Some additional info can be found at:
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=62880

I refrain from using a any form of a chisel due to the weakening effect it can have on the mounting hex shaft.

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Who sells that adjustable spanner? Looks like a Snap-on Blue Point wrench?

·
Registered
38 Posts
the two ways I've done it...

1. an air chisel/hammer

2. two pair of vise grips... one clamped down on the pulley and allowed to 'wedge', the other to remove the fan.

done it many times both ways

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the two ways I've done it...

1. an air chisel/hammer

2. two pair of vise grips... one clamped down on the pulley and allowed to 'wedge', the other to remove the fan.

done it many times both ways

Gotta winner!!bounce

used option #2 but just used a BFCW instead of some vise grips on the hex. Came off slicker than snot!

Thanks everyone!

Now just need to figure out the wiring mess!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you looking to take the fan off the shaft or the mounting block behind it too?

Just wondering....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts