Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently the Vehicle has a Hercules JXC 4.62 litre, 6-cylinder, in-line engine with side valves.
The Hercules engine is matched up with a Warner T98 4 speed box and together they produce 102 bhp @ 3200 rpm with a torque of around 285 Nm @ 1400 rpm.
Its a 1:1 ratio in fourth and the vehicle tops out around 80KPH (will go slightly faster but is unstable at those speeds).
Kerb weight comes in around 3300KGs and its a 4x4 with a CVT (continuously variable transmission) setup (a lot like the Unimog).

I'm looking to replace the Hercules engine with a 6BT but stuck on which gearbox would fit the application best as the mentioned Warner is quite short, but I do have some room to play with.

Would someone have a list of compatible transmissions that fit the 6BT or suggestions of potential transmissions would be very welcomed.

I have searched but to no avail so any help would be received with thanks...

·
Registered
84 Posts
If I read the little flag correctly, you're in Italy?
A 6BT seems like a lot more engine than what you've got now. Seems to me that one of the Mercedes OM series engines would be a better match and likely a better fit.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
If this is a military vehicle, you might consider a Spicer 3053A 5 speed. That one has a .85 OD 5th gear and came in military trucks. It would use an SAE3 transmission mount on the 6bt. Other possible transmission would be the NV4500 that came on the Dodge Cummins. That one has a .74 OD 5th gear.

·
Super Moderator
9,022 Posts
If I read the little flag correctly, you're in Italy?
A 6BT seems like a lot more engine than what you've got now. Seems to me that one of the Mercedes OM series engines would be a better match and likely a better fit.
If he is in Italy then IVECO have versions of the 6BT that are easy to come by from small trucks.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Yes, Cummins has licensed their engines to several companies. Iveco builds a lot of Case tractor engines since Case was involved in the original design of the B series Cummins. Originally, Cummins built them but they and Case parted company a number of years back. One engine that always intrigued me was the 3bt. We never see one of those here in the US. I've only seen one photo of one but Cummins says it was produced. See photo below. They came in Case tractors as a 3-290 or a 3T-290 for turbo models. In later years the engine was produced by Iveco as a 3.3 L engine 334T-M2.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts