Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would start a thread on my project to get help as needed. So far I have the entire chevy 4bt parts in my shop as well as a cable modulator and intercooler that will be cut down to fit. I am using a TH475 for now to keep initial cost down and to get on the road sooner. The truck is 4.11:1 geared and I plan on upgrading to 3.54:1 right after I get the engine swap finished. I am using a 2nd gen dodge intercooler that will be cut down to 12" tall and have the tube inlets modified to fit the chevy core support holes.

I have a 6bt located and a deal done as soon as the guy gets it out of the truck it is in. He has been a little slow to get it pulled and shipped to me. The engine is a 130,000 mile, 195HP, 1993 from a F700 Ford. I plan on installing it complete as it is except the dowel pin fix. I will probably also set up electric fans depending on the fan location when in the truck. I will also be figuring out a high mount A/C location to keep from chopping the frame and to keep A/C lines as they are now.

Here is the truck before the 6.5 transplant cratered:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Very nice truck, I wish we could find ones in that condition here in salt country. Only way that happens here is if it wasn't driven in the winters.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
sounds good. i'm gonna have to start a build thread soon, I have a 88 crewcab that i'm gonna be puttin in a 6bt 47rh into in the next few weeks if it all works out. now go out and get some more pics!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I thought I would start a thread on my project to get help as needed. So far I have the entire chevy 4bt parts in my shop as well as a cable modulator and intercooler that will be cut down to fit. I am using a TH475 for now to keep initial cost down and to get on the road sooner. The truck is 4.11:1 geared and I plan on upgrading to 3.54:1 right after I get the engine swap finished. I am using a 2nd gen dodge intercooler that will be cut down to 12" tall and have the tube inlets modified to fit the chevy core support holes.

I have a 6bt located and a deal done as soon as the guy gets it out of the truck it is in. He has been a little slow to get it pulled and shipped to me. The engine is a 130,000 mile, 195HP, 1993 from a F700 Ford. I plan on installing it complete as it is except the dowel pin fix. I will probably also set up electric fans depending on the fan location when in the truck. I will also be figuring out a high mount A/C location to keep from chopping the frame and to keep A/C lines as they are now.

Here is the truck before the 6.5 transplant cratered:
You do know that a 1st gen dodge intercooler will fit with no mods to cooler !
How do you plan on the 3:54 gears ?

CrewCab59

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll take some more pics as things progress along. It is buried in the shop right now so pics are a little tough. I actually drove from Texas to Georgia to get this truck. It has some blems, but overall it is a pretty nice truck for a 20 year old rig.

I actually thought that the new intercooler would fit with no mods, but it is a little tight at the bottom. If someone had a first gen cooler cheap, I might be interested, but fabriction is no big deal for me.

I am curious about the 3.54 gear question....seems loaded.....I am just planning on buying an aftermarket set and putting them in? A friend of mine has a front set for a D60, so I will start with those. The diffs are suppose to have lockers, but I have never had them apart. The 3.54(or5) would put me at a 2350RPM cruise speed at 70MPH which should be liveable untill I can do OD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think what crewcab was talking about was a lack of 3.54 gears for the 14 bolt ? All I have found is 4.56, 4.10, 3.73, 3.42. And I have not found 3.42 for the 60. So I was going to run 3.73 but they are not that much higher than 4.10's So I kept them for now. If you know where to get the 3.54 for the 14 bolt please tell me. Thanks!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think what crewcab was talking about was a lack of 3.54 gears for the 14 bolt ? All I have found is 4.56, 4.10, 3.73, 3.42. And I have not found 3.42 for the 60. So I was going to run 3.73 but they are not that much higher than 4.10's So I kept them for now. If you know where to get the 3.54 for the 14 bolt please tell me. Thanks!
You cant get a 3.54 for a 14 bolt. 3.42 is going to be your best ratio - or you could just swap in a 4L80-E or a Dodge 5speed (Depending on the adapter with that motor)and you'd be set with the 4.10's (much better imo). 3.54 was a spicer only ratio. Similar to the old 4.09 in the D44's. Just an oddball one. Most of the dodge 2500's had a D60/70 Rear whereas the GM had Corporate 10.5" up until 2001.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Yes, that what I was saying!The Chevy dana 60 can only go to 3:73 so buy the time you change the gears and only drop a small amount?

I have talked to all the gear venders and no one can get anything for the D 60 other than 3:73 ,they use to have a listing but can no longer get them.

The D44,10b there are 3:42 with will mach the rear 14b .

CrewCab59

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I had been told by the previous owner the truck had a D70 rear, but had never looked. I looked today and it is the 14 bolt....not suprising since the guy lied about several things. I did call a local supplier and they said they can get the 3.54 for the chevy, but needed the numbers to get the right set. We'll see how that pans out.

A buddy of mine has a set of 3.54 gears from a dodge D60, so I was going to use those. If there are different D60's out there I may be off base. I have also checked Summit racing and they sell D60 gears as well:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...7+4294918962+115+4294776335&Ntk=KeywordSearch

I have done alot of stuff, but have never been into a 4x4 front axle. May sound dumb, but are the gears cut opposite....would make sense I guess....

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Chevy never put a Dana 70 unless it's from a Dually and it would have to be cut down.

The gear sets are different front & rear ,and from different makes GM,Dodge,Ford they won't interchange ,some parts will but not all.

That why my truck still has the 4:10 gears !

The 14 bolt 3:21,3:42,

CrewCab59

·
Registered
137 Posts
My Chevy is supposed to have 3.55's in it, swapped in by the PO. I'll find out soon enough. :D

Re: Dana 60's, I highly recommend a read of Billavista's 60 Bible on Pirate:

http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

Dana 60 Gear ratio availability:
Ratio Cut Teeth (ring - pinion)
3.54 regular / reverse 46-13
3.73 regular 41-11
4.10 regular / reverse 41-10
4.30 regular (uses 4.10 carrier)
4.30 reverse
4.56 regular / reverse / reverse thick 41-9
4.88 regular / reverse / reverse thick 39-8
5.13 regular / reverse / reverse thick 41-8
5.38 regular / reverse
5.86 regular 41-7
6.17 regular 37-6
7.17 regular 43-6

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pick you up a D70 from a 3/4T Dodge with 3.54s and put the 3.54s from your friend in the front end.
You will need too add shock brackets to the D70, as the Dodge shocks mounted on the lower spring plates.
This is how I did it on my 82 4x4.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pick you up a D70 from a 3/4T Dodge with 3.54s and put the 3.54s from your friend in the front end.
You will need too add shock brackets to the D70, as the Dodge shocks mounted on the lower spring plates.
This is how I did it on my 82 4x4.
Did the springs mount right up, or did you have to move something? This is actually a good option since I can get probably get the rearend used and the used gears for close to the cost of a new pair of gears....if I could find them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did the springs mount right up, or did you have to move something? This is actually a good option since I can get probably get the rearend used and the used gears for close to the cost of a new pair of gears....if I could find them.
It was a pretty much straight bolt in. I used the rear from a 93 D250 that had 3.54s and Powr Lok. Hard part was welding the shock brackets on in the correct place. Ended up installing a worn out shock, to position the mount in the right place, and used a floor jack to hold it while I tacked.
I did have to change wheel studs as my truck had std and the new rear had metric.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Engine in tomorrow

Well, I ended up getting a Dana 70 from an old Ford. It is a couple inches narrow, but some long studs and spacer plates should fix that. I will do the 3.54 with dana front and rear now as planned.

I also plan on trial fitting the engine and getting mounts built tomorrow. It sure looks like it is going to be a tight fit. I am a little nervous about getting it set down low enough. It just does not look like the factory cross member will be low enough to let the engine set down....we'll see tomorrow. Might have to break out the big shoe horn.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's In!!!!

Well, after two long days in the shop, the 6BT is cleaned up, stripped down, and installed. I did have to break out the big shoe horn, aka torch and MIG welder.

The engine would not set low enough due to the two front cross members. I cut a square notch in the front member so the front cover can set down right in the cross member. I cut 12.5" out of the middle of the second cross member, dropped it down 3", and welded it back together with 3/8" plate. We then sat the engine back in, bolted it to the transmission, and dropped it into the newly made tunnel through the crossmembers. It worked perfectly.

Tomorrow I will finish the motor mounts and do a little more welding on the crossmembers....might add a couple of gussets to the second and some support to the front one.

I will put up a couple pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A few pics....

Snapped a few pics today after I got the engine resting in the mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Front Crossmember

Apparently I "exceeded your quota" so I cant put up the second crossmember modification.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice work on the swap

I like what you are doing to your truck. It looks like you are moving right along in your swap. I think that I went with the hard route when fabricating engine mounts and crossmembers. As a note, I was able to turn a 2nd gen intercooler upside down and mount it in my 88' V30. It is a tight fit and the brackets need to be cut off and new mounts built to leave clearance for a grill. Good luck with the rest.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. I have to say that your mount and crossmember design is very nice and I considered doing something similiar. However, I have found through other projects like this that the simpler you can do it the easier and working with existing parts can save time and money.

I hope to be able to crank it this weekend....we'll see.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts