Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input/suggestions from everyone. :idea:

Picked up a schoolbus, wrecked, for just towing it away. Scrapped the nosecone, sold the partial IH engine w/ broken allison tranny for $500.

This project is in the early planning stages. Intend to install a 6bt w/ allison tranny when I get to it. Any suggestions, comments, questions, opinions, etc. are welcomed. It will be a play toy so all options are open and all bets are off the table.bounce

Let us all here from you!

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
I think you are looking at this from the wrong perspective. The CHEAPEST available 6BT's are usually already found in school buses. I have seen running drivable units easily go for under $1000 in "Dealer Only" auctions. One fellow who services a fleet in Ohio, Greenleaf?? on TDR, has said they have even paid to have them hauled off. Might be a lot cheaper just to buy one and convert the interior to an RV.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Looking for input/suggestions from everyone. :idea:

Picked up a schoolbus, wrecked, for just towing it away. Scrapped the nosecone, sold the partial IH engine w/ broken allison tranny for $500.

This project is in the early planning stages. Intend to install a 6bt w/ allison tranny when I get to it. Any suggestions, comments, questions, opinions, etc. are welcomed. It will be a play toy so all options are open and all bets are off the table.bounce

Let us all here from you!
Bluebird buses usually come with Cummins/Allison 545 combo's. I'm speaking of the late 80's and on. A friend has a converted Bluebird bus that is 35 feet long and gets 9 MPG. It does NOT have overdrive so it could get a little better mileage if it had one. From what I seen, the 6BTs in these Bluebirds have the inline pumps on them so some serious tuning is awaiting. Just might be cheaper to go buy a bus with the Cummins already in it...

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I would just buy a bus that has the Cummins and allison ,they are cheap and to much work to do a conversion to.

The ford I just did ,that's where his parts came from .

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, Guys
Thanks for the input. :eek: Just wanted some perspective on my weird thinking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts