Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been done before, but not many pics or details are posted after exhaustive searches.
I am about to do one and my biggest concern is what Clutch Housing to try and find.
I am removing a Dead Cat (3116) with 6 Speed Manual. The current engines clutch housing has the mounts on the side (4 bolt and appear to be in a square). Fabbing the front mounts will be no issue, I just don't want to make the job any more complicated than I have to and would like to draw on the knowledge of folks that have done it already, or may have answers. It should be a SAE2 but I have not confirmed. The Clutch housing / and associated Clutch / PP, Flywheel, Starter are the parts I'd rather not buy multiple times to get right.

I will be taking Many Pics, and keeping track of all part numbers... I'll make a thread on the swap when completed to help folks in the future.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer !

·
Registered
801 Posts
I may be doing a similar swap very soon only with an at545. We just picked up a 1995 top kick lo-pro in nice shape 0 rust new tires, barley running 3116. Ours is a 20 or 22ft. box truck. Were turning it into a flat bed and shortening the frame significantly. It will be a rubber tire dumpster tow/service truck.

The housing appears to be sae 2 to my naked eye as well.

Theres so much room the 5.9 will probably look tiny in there. Ours with the at545 has two mounts on the bell housing and one front center mount for the engine. My plan was to use the existing trans mounting location and plug the 6bt in with a front mount just like the 3116. Everything will else have to be fabbed/reused but once again it should be easy because theres so much room.

A lot of guys that do this probably arent concerned about posting on the internet. They just do it because they need the truck or are getting paid to do it. This isnt a novelty swap like this forum is created around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts