Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, seriously, I want to drive a mechanical tacho off my 6BT.

It is in a 70 year old truck and I want to use the original tacho if I can. I don't think I could tolerate a dash full of original gauges with a single modern unit looking like a wart on a nose.

Did very early 6BTs have a take-off for engine revs?

The only place I can see that one may go is on the back of the Holset QE air compressor.

But I haven't a clue. Every reference I've found to tachos on this site are electrical.

Ideas/solutions/assistance greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day.

Sam in Australia.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Would those from a Case tractor work???
Should work fine. They are for a 4bt used in the Case industrial equipment line. If you take the Case part # and remove the J and replace it with a 3 you have the Cummins part #. I have bought parts through Case and often they come in a Cummins package with a Case sticker on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW!!!:(

I got some prices on those parts.
eg, 3914132 Adaptor, Angle drive is US$735!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Case tractor part J905217 Fitting (which is the same as above, but a different number) is US$475!!!!!

I won't be buying them from there. A tractor wrecker is the next option.

Anyone work in/near a tractor or earthmoving wreckers? Eg W11B Case loader has it.

Sam.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
That's the problem with being on another planet like Australia. Case tractor part J905217 is $131.00 in the US. Can't believe it costs $344 to get it to the land down under. Might want to contact the folks at Coleman Equipment here in the US. They are a Case industrial dealer and I'm sure they can ship overseas. That Cummins price is absurd. By the time you got the other little bits to go with it you'd be into $1000. Here's link to Coleman's site. Nice people to deal with. Generally, their prices beat Cummins and it's the exact same part. http://www.colemanequip.com/ModelParts.asp?ModelID=157&#partSearch

·
Registered
379 Posts
Pretty sure that right angle 1/4" cable drive adapter is a Stewart Warner part. They used it in few different applications. Tractors and aircraft too if I remember right.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have, fortunately, picked up a tachometer drive off a Case 580E, locally and far cheaper than new. It seems to be in good condition.
The drive hub between the pump gear nut and the angle drive has the tang broken off due, it seems, to a seized cable. But I have managed to get some replacements through eeee bay.

I'll need three of these drives, all up, eventually.

Next is to adapt a cable to fit.

Sam.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Sam,
Have you tried FlexibleDrive Agencies? They have a branch in Queensland.
They do all cables, ratio boxes and drive adaptors including drive tangs.
I will be using them to get my speedo right.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all,

I am still seeking a used mechanical tacho drive for my 6BT. Probable source is early Case earthmoving machines, typically 580E backhoe.

Steve, thanks for the headsup on FlexibleDrive Agencies. They (IIRC) now charge a $40 fee to quote. Must have had lots of tyre kickers.
I am finding that, even with shipping, it is cheaper to have a cable made overseas, via the internet.

Sam.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Sam,
When I price up all the parts for the mechanical speedo in my Ford, just decided to go with the electronic VDO unit. Speedo, pickup and plug kit was still cheaper than just a cable and converter box.
Depending on your current gauges the VDO may suit
Cheers Steve

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Per usual, this site will not let me edit a post when using quick reply.
Mentioned speedo but their tacho's are the same style.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Sam, how much did Coleman Equipment want to ship that tach drive to the land down under? That thing isn't very large and doesn't weigh much. Postage couldn't be that much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts