Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of people dishing out up to 3000 dollars to have their injector pump rebuilt/replaced on their trucks. Is that just for the labor or are the parts that expensive? How much would it cost to do this yourself? Finally, what is it that exactly wears out on a 6bt pump?

Thanx

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Pretty offensive sig, don't ya think?

·
Registered
335 Posts
whatca got?

First we need to know what pump you have. If you dont know, if you will describe it, or take a picture of it. Also alot of the "pullers" and such are getting the works when it comes to a rebuilt pump that is far beyond a normal rebuild and of course would be more expensive. Most of these will be a P-pump, and not the VE. Give us a little more info, and we can go from there...G luck man.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty offensive sig, don't ya think?
I did not mean for it to be, the cummins 6bts we had in our pettibones where I used to work held up much better than their john deere and detroit counter parts. I wish that anyone that owned or was interested in owning a 6bt could operate one in an industrial application they would really know the abuse these motors can take: 110 degree day, lifting untold tons of pipe @ redline, all while keeping me nice and frosty in my a/c cab. :)

I was just curious if the guy I work with, that had his pump give out on him after 175,000 (a commonly replaced part on any mid life automotive diesel so I'm told), is getting screwed because of the shop, or if he was getting screwed because his lack of mechanical ability, or if $3,000 was how much it cost no matter how you slice it.

The reason I ask is because my dad and I are going into the hay baling business, and although he can afford a new super duty (not my choice if i had the money :)) I 'm going to have to get something in the higher mileage $10,000 range and if there is know way out of paying that much to get the pump fixed, then when the pump on said truck was repaired last is going to be a determining factor when I go to buy.

Sorry for the novel. I should have explained myself better in the first post but I stray away from going into to much detail because then no one wants to read it. :smokin:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
When they put $3000.00 into a injection pump it will be a P7100 and with those mod that's what they call a race pump * Drag ,pulling * .We are talking about 1000-1500 hp 6B engines.

Not a street engine.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how much to rebuild a factory dodge pump? Or is that possible?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
A VE injection pump could be resealed and calibrated for a few hundred and/or you can buy them rebuilt with warranty online for $700and up. Core charges approx. $200.

The local Diesel Injection guy get's $900+ for a rebuilt, exchanged. If I have to hassle him for anything less it's $95/hr, and good luck... Since I have had access to part numbers he has been curt at best, I'll take it considering he was a complete a-hole before that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts