Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
those are very cool, where are you located? Let's here more plans!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,764 Posts
You'll have a lot of shoe-horning to get a 6BT into a rover chassis. But if you're not scared of the work it'd make a great conversion.

Is that 6x6 yours or the other one? Not many 6x6 landrovers outside of Australia.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The rover camper is mine, the other one is an Ibex it uses rover running gear. I have a bit more space than most rovers as its 12 1/2 inches wider than a standard rover, can't tell that from the pic though. Will have to use an AC grill surround as it gives a bit of extra space for the intercooler(no ac) It had a chevy diesel 6.5 at the time of pic but a cracked head was the last straw.
I have a nv4500 and am changing it to dodge as I/P shaft is bigger and better choice of clutch.

Gaza

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It was 6x6 but not like the aussie ones. they drive there 3rd axle from the pto output on a modified LT95 gearbox. Mine had a splitter box, one prop in 2 out, the 3rd axle could be disengaged to leave it 6x4. Found it to whine alot as it was made from straight cut gears so it came off.

Gaza

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
6BT finally in

I have many excuses for the slow progress on this project, I'll spare you the details though. Had the engine sitting in for a while now, couldn't decide on the mount design. I have now taken the plunge and got some cut out of 8mm plate.
Chassis is 4mm thick so didn't think it needed a spreader plate (hope I don't live to regret this) They are not welded in yet my brother in law is comming round tommorow morning (he's a welder) I don't have enough confidence in my welding when it comes to a 500kg engine. Most people have the problem of lack of space i.e width between rails my problem is the opposite I have a lot of space and needed wide engine mounts. Both of my 2nd gen mounts are LH (the long ones) to try and bridge the large gap. Both the RH (short ones) will be used on my 4BT as it will be going into a Landrover with a standard width frame (or at least thats the plan). I am looking at putting a cradle on that goes under engine and connects both mounts together, this isn't as straight forward as it appears though as the 2 LH 2nd gen mounts are staggered. I have posted a pic of my GM NV4500 to LT230 adapter it is approx 3 1/2" the only decent pic I could get of it is from underneath. The NV4500 and LT230 are now nearly 4" further back than with the chevy diesel. I pushed it as far back as I could as its quite a long motor. For info, in the pic of the motor front on you will see there is no accessory pulley it works fine without one as long as the tensioner pulley wheel is the ribbed type, I have not seen one without an accessory pulley on this site but most people dont run a mechanical fan or drive a vacuum pump so not really needed apart from belt routing and if done like this it isn't needed, just pointing another option out. I plan on mounting another alternator where the air con normally goes, one for starter one for camper, I have finally come up with a bracket arrangement that I like to do this, I will post more pics when I get it done.

Gaza

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Icelandic Rovers

Looking through my Iceland trip photos I came across a couple of Rovers I thought I would post up, it is a rover thread so I hope nobody minds.

Gaza

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I have a friend, J-L up in Ottawa who you may know who put a 6BT into his Series Rover.. I can get you his info if you'd like. I have a pic somewhere on my hard drive...

·
Super Moderator
8,764 Posts
You've got a serious amount of space in there. You could fit a 4BT in as a backup too.:grinpimp:

Running a standard LT230?

Those northern climates love their big rubber.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have a friend, J-L up in Ottawa who you may know who put a 6BT into his Series Rover.. I can get you his info if you'd like. I have a pic somewhere on my hard drive...
I would love to see them....post em up....please and any info/details would be welcome.
He must have had to shove the S3 grill forward though?

Dougal there does appear to be a lot of room, could fit some twins in..hmmm
I have just got a BHAF 10.5"x 10.5" that needs a lot of room its like a bucket. I have removed header tank and will probably put on same side as I/P. also intercooler pipes not in yet. will post more pics when I make more progress.
But yes I have more room than most. I had a giggle at the 4bt for backup comment.

Yes its a standard LT230 only thing I can think of is the one piece cross shaft that is in the central diff that ashcroft sells. I have put a finned bottom cover on that also increases oil capacity some (pic above) and will be putting synthetic oil in too. It is a newly rebuilt 1.003:1 . Do you think I will have problems? I thought my propshaft UJs would be the weak link and was thinking about getting bigger ones, but would still like them to be the weakest link. What do you think?

If anyone can see anything I have overlooked or possible potential problems then please feel free to point them out.I would rather know now before its finnished so I can either change plans or carry a spare. Not a 4bt though.

When I bought the 6bt I knew nothing about 4ts and would probably have used one in my camper as I think it would probably have hauled it about atleast aswell as the chevy diesel if not better. live & learn

Gaza

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I think he went to 1 ton axles, used a defender front fenders/wings, hood etc..

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DCH you managed to find any pics of thar 6bt 109 yet?. what box and tcase hows it running?

Heres a few pics of my buildup, the chassis was built from scratch it started life as a 6m x 2m x 4mm thick piece of steel. It was a long buildup.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
DCH you managed to find any pics of thar 6bt 109 yet?. what box and tcase hows it running?

Heres a few pics of my buildup, the chassis was built from scratch it started life as a 6m x 2m x 4mm thick piece of steel. It was a long buildup.
Wow that is really cool, completely hand fabricated frame.. :)

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
JL sent this to me on ih8mud to post here, if it's helpful to anyone...

Hey Dre,

You can post up on my account, I am going wheeling this weekend and I have no time to register on another forum, maybe next week... The truck is done, I am just finishing up small stuff and I will be putting some info up on the web, I get a lot of questions and I want to address them all online at some point....

My truck - 1980 XMOD 1 ton 109 chassis, sprung over on Toyota FJ60 front axle, FZJ80 rear axle. E-lockers. 4.10 ratio. LT230 T case. Custom adapter to Dodge automatic from 1993 W250. 1993. 5.9BT with Dodge-specific intercooler. VE rotary pump.

The 6BT swap is not possible in a rover unless you run a large amount of lift. The oil pan to front diff clearance is the biggest hurdle. The engine actually fits in very nice, the bulkhead needs to be modified for the HUGE bellhousing and clutch assembly (using a series bulkhead) it JUST fits, 1/2" on either side of the maximum width of the panel where transmission opening is. I have the engine sitting to the rear most valve cover is about 1/2" from the bulkhead.

The engine does not weigh as much as people think. The 4 cylinder rover engine must be 5-600 lbs, I just relocated the batteries to the back and am running a light winch, a 4 cyl truck with a Koenig would be at the same weight. It is very manageable. Defender front end required for radiator and intercooler clearance.

The end result is a monster, it is soo worth it. I will never run another powerplant again, I have a 5.9BT lined up for an FJ60 swap next.

I will try and chime in with some more info later on.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I sent him a link asking to post up.. Here is a previous thread about it. Great truck!

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=109441&highlight=cummins+rover
Thanks DCH, I looked at the link you posted it just wetted my appetite to find out all about it. I have noticed that since you bumped it back to the top that it has revived interest in it and have a few more interesting posts. I also thought that there must be more cummins Rovers about that we don't know about so thats why I posted on pirate. The 2 pics of your friends 109 look like a real mean machine, proportionally it looks really good. I would just love to see a full buildup of it.

Gaza

1 - 20 of 52 Posts