Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my new/old '76 Winnebago in about a week and already thinking of doing the swap to the 6BT. Any input/ advice on the matter is greatly appreciated. Doesn't seem like it would be too bad as far as I can tell since it's built on a dodge truck frame and has a 440 big block with a 727(?) tranny. I'm just unsure about motor mounts and the rest being a direct fit or not. A friend said the tranny is one of the better Dodge automatics and should be a direct fit. Thanks.:)

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input. Hadn't really thought about the gearing. The same friend suggested getting everything out of a school bus with what I want in it already and said that he'd found a mid 90's one on ebay for about 1500. Sounded kinda low to me but the idea sounds good since it would have almost everything I'd need and it's way cheaper than a salvaged dodge truck. Anyone else?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Figured out I have a Dana 70 rearend with something lik 4.56 gearing. A friend suggested 3.73 gearing for the swap. My question is with a newer 24valve 6bt and overdrive auto tranny out of a Dodge 3500, Would I end up with the best mileage for the power in this 12,000 GVW Winnebago? I guess I need to find out what a Dodge M400 with a 6bt and auto tranny had in the rear end, eh? Or would whatever rearend gearing is in the 3500 be what I would want? :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.