Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a deal I can't refuse on a 6BT. I'm thinking of swapping it into a 93' Chevy half ton 4x4 with an NV4500. I know swapping out the tranny to a dodge or newer Chevy NV4500, but will the trucks front IFS hold out for long term?

I will do a little towing and no extreme offroad.

·
Registered
89 Posts
pain and simple, yes its too heavy. you really need a 1 ton.

or, do a solid axle swap and put 1 ton axles and springs under it.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I came across a deal I can't refuse on a 6BT. I'm thinking of swapping it into a 93' Chevy half ton 4x4 with an NV4500. I know swapping out the tranny to a dodge or newer Chevy NV4500, but will the trucks front IFS hold out for long term?

I will do a little towing and no extreme offroad.
The 1/2 ifs will hold just fine if they are DD and light towing , have done 2 in the past 2-3 years with no problems .

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so, are yu gonna replace the 4b in your burb with a 6?
No, I have a 93' truck with a NV4500. I figure the Burb' has a cummins so should this one;)

The Burb is staying the way it is:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you really like the 1/2 ton, then try it. If it proves to be too heavy (which I think it will be), then you can pick up a dana 60 front axle with springs and all relatively cheaply (less than $1200). Lots of chevy guys do the straight axle conversion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you really like the 1/2 ton, then try it. If it proves to be too heavy (which I think it will be), then you can pick up a dana 60 front axle with springs and all relatively cheaply (less than $1200). Lots of chevy guys do the straight axle conversion.
You will have to have a 78-79 Ford HP Dana 44 or 60, plus crossover steering conversion, plus spring hangers, plus brake lines, shocks and shock mounts, front driveshaft, gears need to match the rear end, change rear end to match 8 lug front wheels, and the list goes on and on. Good idea but not real cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts