1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

I’m in need of information and hitting brick walls so I thought I’d try here to get help or at least point me the right direction. Here goes: I have a 96 Topkick gutless 3116 Cat, Allison 4 speed with cracked block. I have a mechanical 6ct 8.3 300 hp I’m going to transplant. It has a 6030 Allison attached. I have a rto6613 Roadranger with #2 bell housing I want to use. I have a donor frame and manual shift cab for pedals/linkage etc. My question is will the #2 flywheel housing currently coupling the Allison to the 8.3 work with the Roadranger? The casting number is 3906690 and it has the low mount starter on drivers side and that’s where it needs to stay. If this one won’t work which one(s) will or where can I go to find out? My local Cummins dealer isn’t much help. Everyone wants to go by application and 8.3’s weren’t put in those trucks. I know it’s going to take a lot of custom fit but I have a fab shop and that won’t be a problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Does the RR have a #2 clutch housing(probably)? Cummins 8.3 and 5.9 can use same flywheel. Get proper clutch to go with flywheel. Measure!

Ed in CO

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
SAE is a standard so long as you have an SAE2 bellhousing on the transmission it should bolt to the SAE2 engine housing. As Ed mentioned, just a matter of getting the right flywheel, pilot bearing, and clutch assembly to mate to the transmission.

·
Registered
35 Posts
SAE is a standard so long as you have an SAE2 bellhousing on the transmission it should bolt to the SAE2 engine housing. As Ed mentioned, just a matter of getting the right flywheel, pilot bearing, and clutch assembly to mate to the transmission.
Keep us informed how it’s going. I also have a p pumped 8.3 that I would like to put in a loadstar(which I don’t have yet). It had an Allison but when I got the engine I never got the ring gear. Finding a flywheel that works with the starter isn’t easy, Cummins has no info about what the motor home company used for a tranny. Just that it had the sae 2 housing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts