Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
OK, that didn't work so well, is there any way to edit/delete extra posts?
Running a T engine without a turbo is going to be a nasty experience. No power, lot's of smoke and high egt's is what your going to have. Don't drive it until you get a rebuild kit for the turbo.:)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hell, that wasn't what I wanted to hear!
I had a turbo boot blow off pulling an 8% grade on my 4-53T and truck was basically undrivable. Easy 50% power loss with lots of smoke and 1300 egt's if you tried to mash the pedal.:) Basically limp off the highway and repair the turbo boot. Never tried it on flat ground.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A310... I'll bet if Wolf were to be easy on the petal, no towing, just cruising around he might be able to manage without the turbo. I agree on the 50% (easy maybe even more) power loss, with smoke and higher EGTs. wouldn't be as much fun though.

·
Registered
442 Posts
A310... I'll bet if Wolf were to be easy on the petal, no towing, just cruising around he might be able to manage without the turbo. I agree on the 50% (easy maybe even more) power loss, with smoke and higher EGTs. wouldn't be as much fun though.
True, but he'll need to break in his engine after the fresh kits. In order to do a nice break in he'll need to run it hard for the first 100-500 miles. Can't do that without the turbo.:) I'll see if I can find the FP info slip I got for my kits and post it.:)

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is what Federal Mogul recommends after a fresh overhaul. I pretty much did this to the letter, although I did run it a total of 10 minutes before I headed out on the hwys to work it's butt off. Easy where I live as surrounded by mountains. I've got just over 3000 miles on it now and runs sweet with no oil use or slobbering.
IMG_8749 (1).jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I live in flat country and don't have a big trailer, so I don't have a way to work it hard for break-in. My rebuilder told me to rig up an exhaust brake to build heat and make the engine work. I'm not going to be able to do anything until I get the truck put together and driveable. (year or two) In the meantime, I will pressurize the oil system and pour some oil in the cylinders and roll it over with the starter to spread the oil around.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I live in flat country and don't have a big trailer, so I don't have a way to work it hard for break-in. My rebuilder told me to rig up an exhaust brake to build heat and make the engine work. I'm not going to be able to do anything until I get the truck put together and driveable. (year or two) In the meantime, I will pressurize the oil system and pour some oil in the cylinders and roll it over with the starter to spread the oil around.
That's what I've been told from other builders as well is to restrict the exhaust to build up heat. I'll have to do that on my 2-53 as well because it's going into a forklift and there's really no way of working it hard.:)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts