Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy a 1 ton chevy or gmc in the 80's. I was set on
putting a 5.9 cummins in but they are just to popular. How hard would it
Be to squeeze a 6v53t detroit into a truck. I want to use a nv4500 or nv5600 with the np205
Transfer case. Are there any better transmissions for this set up. Any one ever tried
any setup related to this before. If so what kind of problems am i in for?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Tight squeeze, but it should be one hell of a truck once it's in.
I'd vote for a Spicer 5353 5spd, or a RTO-6610 10spd.
Do a google search. There's 3-4 6v53's in 73-87 Chevys on the net. A white one on YouTube, two on here, one on Dieselbombers.

·
Registered
511 Posts
6v53T will have alot of ass to it, so you may not need a bunch of gears to have a good tow rig being in a pickup. That being said, with Detroit's inherent narrow power band I would vote for at least the 6 spd NV5600 to have a decent gear spread. They are pretty popular and pricey though, thanks to their strength. Heard of many guys that are into sled pulling back fitting the newer cummins with the weaker G56 with the NV. The RTO would be a nice setup, though I don't know what one of those go for. Like anything else, if you know someone or trip across a good deal I wouldn't pass it up.

Jason

·
Registered
288 Posts
Also think about the NA 6v53 - the turbo actually adds on a lot of hight and width. It's also generally governed to 2500rpm as opposed to 2800 without turbo. You can still get decent power and torque for a 1ton vehicle. But then I do get confused about the way you guys name trucks - here a 1 ton vehicle (we call them utes) carries one ton, so a 6v53 would be obscene, how many lb GVW are we talking?

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Also think about the NA 6v53 - the turbo actually adds on a lot of hight and width...
My thoughts are if you're considering a 6V53 (no turbo) then quickly forget that idea. Find a 4-53T which is smaller, lighter, easier to fit, better mileage, and same power as a plain old 6v53.

If you genuinely need the power of a 6V53T then it's not a bad choice, if a 4-53T would do then it'll be a lot easier, and less front end weight.

I've had, driven and used one of each, and I'm building a 4-53T powered truck. The 6V53T in a 1 ton was nice in a way but hard to work on being so large and in such a small truck. And lots and lots of front end weight, I got the 6V53T powered truck thoroughly stuck on a few occasions in gravel driveways that at first looked solid/sound... but gave way to the 6V.

Grigg

·
Registered
136 Posts
But then I do get confused about the way you guys name trucks - here a 1 ton vehicle (we call them utes) carries one ton, so a 6v53 would be obscene, how many lb GVW are we talking?
A 1 ton here typically is a dually pickup with gvwr of 10,001+ lbs
ch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The truck is going to be mainly for towing. It will be a dually with the one ton dana 60 front axle and dana 70 rears. The truck will have a 10 ft flatbed and will be a regular cab. I have many hills were i live so towing power is a factor so i want sure about the 453t i would really like to have a silver 6v53t with jakes on it. How common are they? Are there any 10 speed tranmissions out there that would bolt up to the original np205 transfer case and still fit in the original tunnel cover with littlemodification? Truck will be towing a gooseneck trailer and will be class a non cdl so combination will be under 26001 thats the state requirement here in pa. Just cant see spending 15000 on a diesel truck thats worn out and theres nothing better than the sound of detroits.

·
Registered
681 Posts
so what, that would be roughly 2.5 ton payload? So why is it called a 1 ton?
We're trying to figure that out also! LOL All the U.S. manufacturers go by about the same size misnomer so maybe somewhere in the deep distant past there was a regulation that caused it, but I've never heard a reasonable explanation.
On a side note, our government classified trucks by the amount of weight that they could carry through any foreseeable off road conditions, a "Deuce and a half" (2 1/2 ton) was a tandem axle truck so maybe that is the correlation.

·
Registered
136 Posts
so what, that would be roughly 2.5 ton payload? So why is it called a 1 ton?
We're trying to figure that out also! LOL All the U.S. manufacturers go by about the same size misnomer so maybe somewhere in the deep distant past there was a regulation that caused it, but I've never heard a reasonable explanation.
On a side note, our government classified trucks by the amount of weight that they could carry through any foreseeable off road conditions, a "Deuce and a half" (2 1/2 ton) was a tandem axle truck so maybe that is the correlation.
maybe your on to something? my old dually weighed close to 8k, so another "ton" would set it close to the gvwr. but that truck was a huge pig...

The truck is going to be mainly for towing. It will be a dually with the one ton dana 60 front axle and dana 70 rears. The truck will have a 10 ft flatbed and will be a regular cab. I have many hills were i live so towing power is a factor so i want sure about the 453t i would really like to have a silver 6v53t with jakes on it. How common are they? Are there any 10 speed tranmissions out there that would bolt up to the original np205 transfer case and still fit in the original tunnel cover with littlemodification? Truck will be towing a gooseneck trailer and will be class a non cdl so combination will be under 26001 thats the state requirement here in pa. Just cant see spending 15000 on a diesel truck thats worn out and theres nothing better than the sound of detroits.
nothing in a 10 speed that will just slide into the original tunnel, some rethinking of the trans tunnel is required. along with clutch and then to the tcase. imo your best bet would be a divorced np205. with a custom driveshaft
ch

·
Registered
801 Posts
6v53's have been done in 1 tons. The weight of the engine really starts to become an issue with that light of a truck and really kind of pointless (it is cool though).

Remember these things were designed for semis and medium duty trucks. Thats why the 6.9/7.3 dt360/466 and 6bt engines took off in the 80's because they gave similar power for medium duty applications and weighed a lot less than those big old diesels.

Like others stated You should really look into a 4-53, the easiest and best swap if you want a detroit. Leid had 2 for sale over the winter already converted.

The 6bt is popular because its the best cheapest and easiest.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Originally when the nomenclature was invented that was the payload rating of the vehicle. Evolution of of the US domestic market has now made that a misnomer. Presently it is a colloquialism that just refers to the general size of the truck, not its actual gvwr or gcwr.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Best factory rating for a normal (non fire or military) 4-53T Silver is 185HP and 435 ftlb. Which is similar to an older 6BT without any extras.
A good 24V Cummins ought to do more than that with nothing more than a tuner and good exhaust.

The 4-53T ought to do any job that the 6BT can do, though it might not do it as fast, it'll do it just fine.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Would a 453t be comparable to a 6bt cummins?
In my opinion less comparable because a p pump 6bt with minor pump tweaks will make 300-350hp 700ft.lbs.+ otherwise box stock and get good mileage doing it. The VE pump 6bt's can come close to that as well.

100% Stock for stock I'd still give a 6bt the edge due to fuel economy and it still makes more torque and newer than 1995 engines make more factory HP too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My thoughts are if you're considering a 6V53 (no turbo) then quickly forget that idea. Find a 4-53T which is smaller, lighter, easier to fit, better mileage, and same power as a plain old 6v53.
I often read this, and I don't get it. 6v53 is very often specced at 210hp stock with more available I'm sure
Best factory rating for a normal (non fire or military) 4-53T Silver is 185HP and 435 ftlb.
I know it's not a lot more but 11% more and will be far less stressed doing it. I'm not saying a 4-53T isn't a more suitable option, just that the NA 6v53 still produces more HP

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah i was thinking the same thing. I want something that will outrun my dads duramax. Im going to build a custom frontend that tilts and any other modifications i need to do to make it fit. Going to try and find a silver 6v53tt to squeeze in. That should give me plenty of power haha.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts