Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I would appreciate any input I can get here. I work in a facility that remanufactures Detroit 6v53 turbo diesel engines for the Marine corps lavs. I am a Dyno technician and here's my problem. We have a recurring problem with what appears to be the weight assemblies. When initially setting the high speed, occasionally we get one that doesn't hold no load. you can back the high-speed spring way out and get it to hold for a while but the engine will never make power and then when you try no load again it goes well above 2965 RPM which is the governed speed. We've measured the weights and the carrier travel and everything that we can think of on the weight assembly end and can't find any reasoning to it. Sometimes a high speed spring will fix it. But usually it ends up being a rebuild of the weight assembly. and we've taken weight assemblies out that didn't work on one engine and they worked on another. I'm kind of at a loss here any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wadesanders36
I am by no means a Detroit "expert" I have rebuilt/tuned-up a few dozen 53 and 71 series engines. One of the 6v53N engines I was doing a tune-up on was acting like what you describe when it came in. What I found was that the governor gap was a long way out of adjustment. I always remember what the old mechanics that taught me how to work on Detroit told me. "get the governor gap set right first or the engine will never run right" I don't know if that is what is wrong in your case but it is worth checking.
Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts