Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. I am very new to diesel motor let alone cummiuns. Ever since i heard about the 4 cylinder cummins motor i wanted to put one in my bronco. My bronco has a custom state of the art frame a dana 60 in the rear and a HD dana 44 in the front. I really want to put a 4bt in my bronco but ihave no clue where to start. What should i look for in a used 4bt. What do i need for this swap. I am new to diesel so any help would be greatly help full. I have a 1987 ford aod trans but not sure it is strong enough for the 4bt. Also what is the difference between a 4bt and a 4bta? Thanks

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Welcome

There is a lot info here ,some on EB.

First off take some time to due research ,we are here to help.

The 4 = # cylinders
The b = series
The t = turbo
The a = aftercooler = air , water

When looking for a engine look for a on road ,not gen type engine.

All the info you'll need is here .

CrewCab59

·
Registered
89 Posts
Where in VA?

I have a 4BTA in 68 EB. I move it within two weeks to Lunenburg County, VA, near Blackstone / Kenbridge/ Victoria / South Hill area. You are welcome to come look at it and drive it.:hillbilly:

Wayne

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I greatly appreciate that. I will defenitly take you up on the that offer. Did you have to do anything different to brake system when you installed the 4bta? i live in Manassas Va.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks. I will go out and get it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Brakes

OEM vacuum power brake setup off later model EB.
Used Dodge Cummins rotary vacuum pump and PS reservoir off 94-97 RAM.
D44 with drum on 4 corners.:idea:

Incidently, tried the ballast type vacuum pump, and not enough space with the EB to mount.

OK, taking a cooling-break loading stuff...

back to work.

Wayne

·
Registered
335 Posts
I believe the latest issue of Diesel Power magazine has an article on doing a 4bt into a bobtail Bronco.
When I talked to Brian yesterday, he was at Suncoast getting some tranny work befor the race this weekend, and he was saying that they were the ones who built the tranny for the bronco that is in that issue. He said that thing is making stupid power, and I hope get can get as much info as he can.bounce bounce bounce I headin to get a issue tonight! Good luck with your build man, and just set down and do some reading for a few hours, and you will have lots of your questions answered, and it will give you a bunch of new ones...LOL later

·
Registered
49 Posts
OEM vacuum power brake setup off later model EB.
Used Dodge Cummins rotary vacuum pump and PS reservoir off 94-97 RAM.
D44 with drum on 4 corners.:idea:

Incidently, tried the ballast type vacuum pump, and not enough space with the EB to mount.

OK, taking a cooling-break loading stuff...

back to work.

Wayne
Why not just use a hydro boost set-up? That's what I am using in mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Easy to do in an EB. I'm dropping one in my '74. 4BT, NV4500, NP241 xfer case (rotated slightly), Hydro brakes, PS, etc. Stock axles, stock frame, 35's, disc/disc.

Other than designing the engine mounts it is a bolt together affair. I am having to wait a long time to get my SYE for the 241 but worth it I hope. JB conversions is out of stock. Should have new units in by Sept.

I'm also in VA. Dinwiddie to be exact. I'm not finished with my Bronco but working on it when I have time.

HTH,
Shane

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would and aftermarket power brake system work or should i go witht he hydroboost steup. I am also looking a trans not quite sure if i want to got manual ( if i do i want a hydrualic clutch steup) or automatic. What do you guys recommend. Will the stock Dana 20 hold up?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked up the hydrobooster setup at wildhorses4x4 and was wonder which adapter to get the one i for the carb 302 or the one for the efi 302? How much better braking does it offer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, doing my parts collection for an EB swap also. Just rounded up a decent source for 4BTs but have a choice for air or water intercooled. Or nothing. I'm up in Minnesota and am wondering whether that would have any bearing on whether I go with air, water or neither. Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I looked up the hydrobooster setup at wildhorses4x4 and was wonder which adapter to get the one i for the carb 302 or the one for the efi 302? How much better braking does it offer?
You don't need there set-up. My 4bt came with a pump mounted to the engine (gear driven not belt) and a hydroboost unit that can be adapted. Or you can easily source one from a wrecking yard (see clasicbroncos.com).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK just wondering am i going to have to change out my 3.5 inch springs with5.5 to compensate for the weight?

·
Registered
89 Posts
No

I pulled a 4BT and upgraded.
When I swapped in my 4BTA, the droop on my 3.5" springs was minimal. After roadtest, even the 3.5" springs gave me well over 2.5" space between D44 and oil pan. Nearly 3"

Wayne

·
Registered
49 Posts
I pulled a 4BT and upgraded.
When I swapped in my 4BTA, the droop on my 3.5" springs was minimal. After roadtest, even the 3.5" springs gave me well over 2.5" space between D44 and oil pan. Nearly 3"

Wayne
DogDiesel, what are you using for a front bumper and what brand of springs?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Springs & Bumper

I removed the 3.5 in Duff progressive springs, and traded for a Brand new set of stock springs. Heated and bent the pickup and I then trimed 3" off the left corner of the oil pan and been driving it since. Solved my poor handling squirrelley problem. Lowered my Bronco, so my wife can mount it. Wife loves to drive it. She's happy, so I get what I want in return.;)
My bumper, front rear is HD aftermarket steel bumpers, I do not know the brand name. Bolt in with bolt in receiver in rear, light bar in front. Square tube design with angled corners. I like them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have the james duff long travel suspension kit. so you had bad hamdling with your james duff suspension?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts