Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what anyone could tell me about the TC on the 700R4 that came from a 6.2L chevy Diesel. I have one and it is recently rebuilt. I guess I'm really wanting to know the difference in Stall Speed over the gas version (hopefully under 1K RPM). The one I got was rebuilt and has less that 15K on it so I'm feeling pretty good about it. I just hope it has a low RPM lockup.

I saw there was one for sale on here with a 800 stall speed and a lock up. Hoping my stock one wasn't to far off from that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Doubtful that TC stall is under 1k. You can take the TC to a shop that rebuilds or only sells them and they will be able to tell you what the stall is supposed to be (if there is a tag on the TC); assuming the TC hasn't been modified by blocking some of the veins.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
it will probably be 1200-1400 rpms, that's what mine was. If you have the codes off the converter you can look them up and find out. assuming it is an OEM style converter.

Mine could have used a lower stall.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm that does seem a bit high.

So it sounds like there is a easy mod by simply blocking off some veins? What does that really entail?

If the stall is around 1200 is it really worth having the work done to bring it down a couple hundred RPM. Most cruising is done way above that anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Blocking veins is a bad idea because the fluid never gets out to be cooled.

I personally ran a 1600 stall TC behind my 6.2 and loved it, but I didn't tow much.

I can't remember the shop's name where I went to get a new TC for my 700r4 but the shop was used by a lot of the transmission repair shops in the area as evidenced by the different people that came in while I was talking to the owner. I do not know how accurate the information was that he gave me about TCs but he was very skeptical of TCs advertised lower than 1400 because he wasn't sure how they were going about lowering the stall. He made it sound like the majority of TCs out on the market are rebuilds and not new and he feared they were blocking of veins to lower the stall. Thought I throw that out there so you can ask some question when you deal with your TC and entirely possible that everything he told me was BS, but because of what he said kept me from buying anything from him and he knew it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you,

That is really good information. I will probably just stick with what I have for now. Feel it out for a few thousand miles. I will never tow anything so I'm not really all that worried. Just wanted to know and if necessary make any changes now during the build up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts