Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose any one know if some one makes one? I saw a couple articles with the name Chris Mod but could not find any contact numbers for them. I know they are in South Africa. There was a Pirate thread that names D&D but no contact on them. Dose any one here know any information on these companies or others?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Dose any one know if some one makes one? I saw a couple articles with the name Chris Mod but could not find any contact numbers for them. I know they are in South Africa. There was a Pirate thread that names D&D but no contact on them. Dose any one here know any information on these companies or others?
this guy had a th350 to lt230 and converted it to a 700r4. How many spline is your 700r4? Is the tailhousing the same bolt pattern as a TH350?
http://www.mez.co.uk/Chevy700r4.html this is an interesting site he also twin turbo'd a chevy and built all his own manifolds. he has now changed to a 4L80E so maybe his adapter is no longer required.

Gaza

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 4l80e is ten inches longer than the 700r4 and the 700r4 is not electronic.I might have to take a machinist class and make my own.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True the 100 in wheel base helps. Trying to keep this project simple is the most complex thing so far. Maybe a :beer: will help.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
So how long will this be?

At the moment I've got about 645mm from my Isuzu bellhousing to the mounting face of my LT230.

At the moment I'm very happy with manual, but in the future an auto is something I'd like to try.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool link based on that digram the 4l80 will not be that much longer than the 700r4. the ZF meashures 24 inches from the engine to the tranfercase. after you add the adapters the 700r4 and 4l80 are longer than the ZF. Two and half inches add up fast when have to move the case back with the e-brake hanging on the back.

·
Registered
696 Posts
cool link based on that digram the 4l80 will not be that much longer than the 700r4. the ZF meashures 24 inches from the engine to the tranfercase. after you add the adapters the 700r4 and 4l80 are longer than the ZF. Two and half inches add up fast when have to move the case back with the e-brake hanging on the back.
If the e brake is in the way of a crossmember you could use a disc e brake from x-eng they are a fair bit smaller in diameter than the drum type. I turned mine sideways to mount the caliper on the left enstead of on the top this give me a little more clearance (I had to drill an extra hole in the mounting plate to do this)
Bear in mind I have a different chassis but the principle is the same.

Gaza

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good idea about the disk I did not think of that. I can go with the 4l80e and adapter with out the use of sawzall.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
With my 4BD1T and 645mm of MSA gearbox and adaptors, the transfer case sits in it's stock location.
The engine could only go another 10mm or so forward before the pressure line out of the PS pump will foul the front crossmember.
Rearwards would be preferable but firewall clearance gets tight.

I'm still curious how you guys are going to solve the steering problems. It all works well on a RHD vehicle, but your turbo, exhaust and AC alternator are going to be fighting the steering column and steering box for room.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm still curious how you guys are going to solve the steering problems. It all works well on a RHD vehicle, but your turbo, exhaust and AC alternator are going to be fighting the steering column and steering box for room.
Dougal we just have to count our blessings. I had enough problems to solve without those aswell.

Gaza

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
08-28-2007 03:24 PM
That is what the sawzall will be used for:) It will be hard to know what will be needed intill I pull out the v8 and stuff the diesel in.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
would a steering box from a RND mounted outside the frame rail work?
Yes, but some homework would have to go into the final location to miss the tyres at full lock and full suspension travel. Space would also have to be made around existing panels, panhard rods, brackets etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, but some homework would have to go into the final location to miss the tyres at full lock and full suspension travel. Space would also have to be made around existing panels, panhard rods, brackets etc.
It would definitely involve some fab work. There's a thread on here somewhere of a D90 where that mod was used. i think that truck was running 35s.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts