Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 F250 4x4, 78 d60, 3.55, np205, 200hp 4bt nv4500 in progress
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Looking into vacuum operated exhaust brake. Anyone know of one in 3”?
Ebrake would have to be adapted to the 90 elbow. Thinking of a flange welded to the elbow.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Making great progress. If you didn't come home and play with the wife and kids you might be spending a lot of time in the garage, but not very happy. LOL. Interesting you asking about exhaust brake. There are units for the early Dodge Cummins that could be adapted to the 4bt. The main issue with those is room and cost. They fit an HX35W so they would also fit an HX30W. Same exhaust outlet flange. They just aren't small. Those operate on a air pump. There was one used on the '03-07 Dodge that can be adapted. That one operated on a vacuum pump. Anyway you look at it you're probably looking at $1500 or more to do it. Ideal setup would be have the turbo up to the front so you have more real estate for the exhaust plumbing. You may not use that nice cast iron elbow. Not sure what size exhaust those system as set for. The '03-07 were a dealer installed option only made by Jacobs but you could only get them through Dodge.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Russ, lying on the garage floor staring at the lower vac/ps bolt, is it a bad idea to clearance shave the ps pump for that lower bolt? Or maybe a normal bolt. Looking at your picture seems like you might have. ATF is sneaky, don’t want it getting out if clearancing would get too close to an oil bath.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

I made a power steering bracket out of a scrap piece of angle iron.

View attachment 132730
Bottom view

View attachment 132729
Side view

NOTE: The hidden view has the angle iron clearanced around the pump casting. It has held up for about 10 years and 37 states.

Russ

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Russ, lying on the garage floor staring at the lower vac/ps bolt, is it a bad idea to clearance shave the ps pump for that lower bolt? Or maybe a normal bolt. Looking at your picture seems like you might have. ATF is sneaky, don’t want it getting out if clearancing would get too close to an oil bath.

View attachment 133432
That picture was taken about 10 or more years ago. Sure does look "shaved" - my 77 year old memory no longer holds the details. It looks like I am using the same bolt, if my memory is correct, that is the bolt that holds down the VE pump bracket (I'm in Arizona, I don't crawl under trucks parked outside in the dark ;)).

That PS/vac unit was dug out of a parts pile in a friends shop. It eventually leaked at the shaft and was replaced by a new Dorman aftermarket unit - I believe Dorman no longer sells this assembly.

Russ

Reactions: stpackard

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Thanks Russ. Ended up using a different bolt for the angle iron support piece.

Made up mid motor frame and motor mounts and trans mount/tcase shifter done. Another big pain but am happy with them and feel a little more at ease with motor front/rear weight distribution.

Ended up moving original trans mount back about 3” and needed to drill holes in the frame.

Motor tilt angle matches tcase angle and intermediate shaft should be right around 2 degrees. Used a digital zeroing angle gauge. Was a little ocd about checking/rechecking the angles but wanted to get it right and didn’t know any better.

Passenger

Driver

Trans mount (copied co425’s tcase shift mount)

Original crossmember

Bearing shells for shift rod

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
.... Was a little ocd about checking/rechecking the angles but wanted to get it right and didn’t know any better.
I stuffed my engine in - without a digital angle finder. I did not get the angles "quite right". Spent a couple years chasing the occasional faint drive line vibration ;)...

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Clutch has been a major thing needing done, got a start, had some excellent help from Brian and Death Row Dave.

Made the hole for twist in style 2nd gen dodge MC. Was thinking of abandoning twist in when I noticed the 3rd gen (abc) was still twist in, just the included bracket had this same hole.

Pushrod was already installed in MC, only one chance you get clipping it in. Someone on the shipper end probably Thought they were doing a favor. “Turned” down raised portion to 5/16”, then threaded it to 5/16-24 / heim joint. Used magnets and duct tape to keep filings from falling into MC.

Made ‘test bracket’ to help find appropreiate position on pedal and firewall.

Next step is getting a second opinion from a friend on clutch feel and action, then will make a sort of gusseted bracket that anchors MC mount plate to pedal assembly where it bolts to dash and firewall

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Few more updates/victories.

Transfer case shifter and bracket mostly finished

Credit to co425’s design

Welded up old shifter holes, cut new, primed/painted

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Here’s the ‘finished’ clutch bottoms maybe 3/8 above carpet. Bracket bolts to clutch pedal at firewall and at the dash for stoutness and elimination of flex.

Automotive tire Hand tool Automotive design Bicycle part Bumper

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Tire

·
Registered
220 Posts
Why did you put the t-case shifter on the passenger side?

I know guys who have gone to great lengths to move a passenger side shifter (GM/dodge NP205) over to the driver side so they could actually use the shifter. Never seen anyone move a shifter further away.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Good point! Didn’t realize that until now. I pretty much copied a fte member’s shifter design. Should have been thinking that through but doesn’t seem that far away for as little as I might do on the go shifting.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
A lot of little jobs is what this project is, and running to the hardware and parts stores for little stuff.

BD diesel said it will work to clamp down pipe to cast elbow. Was thinking that absolutely had to be a welded connection for exhaust brake. Will cut and fit a band clamp for snugness, if it leaks I’ll have to revisit it.

Organized rats nest. Had PS hydraulic line made sae/metric ends. Made brake lines and a support bracket. Went berserk on ground straps, engine-frame, frame-cab, cab-engine. Used dielectric grease on connections.

3/8 supply, 5/16 return line brackets made

Angled brackets get the fuel plumbing, brakes, speedo, brake vacuum line wires out of the c channel and up

tom wood jack shaft 2degrees, exhaust brake, trans crossmember.

Used previous hangers bolted on angle iron bolted on top of crossmember for exhaust support. Ebrake is 5 feet from turbo, bd says that is fine, Just will take a few seconds to build pressure

Vacuum canister inside frame rail for protection

Next up connecting the big boy stock dodge muffler. Walker 18371

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Appreciate in Mauser48! In the past I have had to go back and redo things a second time, so trying to Make it easy on myself by getting it done hopefully right this first time.

Looking nice and neat. Can't wait to see it driving.
Today is about 2 months from start of tearout of the fe390, so am making ok time, would like to ‘be done in 2 weeks’

Had to modify Fuel tank a little. Have a 2 unit because would eventually will put an additional rear end tank to pump from into this.

Pickup assy needed a larger flat surface so modified the tank, gap allows slipping in a holes sawed and tapped for screws 1/8” plate

Filler piece

Used masterseries inside and out on the modified area to hopefully seal up any pin holes , 3 years ago I had cleaned and lined the tank

Inside the tank tack welded an 1/8” piece hole sawed and tapped for the bolt holes

Fuel lines up and over, bracket support, old gas supply is 5/16” return, 3/8 supply added.

Trying to keep everything super simple continuous lines with no splices to cause leaks.

Spent the $ on a special HVLP engine fuel pump that pulls straight from the tank, no helpers.

Brake cleaned/blew out tubes, lubed the fittings up with diesel, tightened them down.

A little too early but stopped by walmart and the farm store

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I'm not absolutely sure, but the tank venting on those older truck may have been the cap. Got to remember that is before all the smog controls. Don't believe there was any fitting or hose to vent it outside other than the cap itself. My first truck was a '51 F1 and it just had the fuel line and nothing else. The next one was a '66 F100 and it was the same way. My third truck was a '73 F100 and it had all the smog control parts and a vented tank. In cab tank was no longer used that year.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
I Appreciate char1355. Would it be a bad idea to vent the tank anyways? Cap is a new old stock ‘emission control’ motorcraft. I Haven’t thought much about venting until now, I remember big gushes of air and fuel coming out to camp on hot days having just topped the tank off. Symptoms of a not venting cap maybe.
Beer Bottle Drinkware Drink Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I am not familiar with that specific Motorcraft emissions gas cap. I drill a small hole in emissions gas caps when I use them on older, non-vented fuel tanks. The hole must be placed to let the tank side have access to atmospheric pressure - This prevents both a vacuum and an over-pressure condition.

Not always a guaranteed fix. On my 1962 Volvo PV544, I found fuel running out of the gas tank and down the rear fender. The car had a full tank and was parked with the side leaning toward the filler. The air in the tank was higher than bottom of the filler pipe. The fix was to turn the car around, that way, the bottom of the filler pipe was higher than the fuel level.

Russ

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I'd say that is the wrong cap for that year truck. May cause a lot of vacuum in the tank and eventually cause a lift pump failure. Not sure where you find the plain old gas cap for the early trucks but I bet there are some aftermarket companies who make them. Gates part 31702 is the non locking version. According to their specs, trucks beginning in 1970 had evapohttps://www.npdlink.com/product/fuel-cap-vented-chrome/135871/50539rative emissions systems. I found several listings for fuel caps and this one has the magic word "vented". It isn't locking but I'd bet there are companies who do have one.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts