Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well started this a few days ago, been planning it for a few years. I've had this scout body sitting in the barn for around 6 years. anyhow, putting in a 4bta, th400, and Dana 20 transfer case. later i'll drop in an overdrive auto and a Dana 300.
Got the engine and trans sitting in the body on blocks, fabbing up the mounts. got'em made out of cardboard, just need to cut them out of 1/4 inch and weld'em up.
Then I'm swapping in a Dana 60 front and 14bolt rear.

·
Registered
126 Posts
that's great, very nice to see another re-power get going!:beer:

"need to cut them out of 1/4 inch " Are the mounts very long
between the frame and motor? You may want to use gussets
to support the engine load (weight, shake, bounce and hard braking)

BTW, did you polish-up your injector lines? Or is it the photo...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep there will be plenty of gusseting. didn't polish the lines, must just be the pic. I am using 93 dodge mounts. the stepvan ones were just too tall for me.
mocked up everything in cardboard, and my buddy came over and helped me cut most of the brackets out yesterday. got them mostly positioned and tacked today, a few good welds on the engine brackets. gotta pull the engine and finish welding the frame part up good, and it will pretty much be sitting where its gonna be.
Passenger side

Driver side

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
had to make a trans mount that bolts onto the dana 20 since the original adapter foot was busted, no big surprise there.

Gotta build a new crossmember in the morning for the trans.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Cool, thanks for posting. Will there be any issues with exhaust or hood clearance? What are you going to use for a radiator?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm probably gonna hafta notch the firewall like scout4bta did,unless I use a different exhaust manifold and run outside the frame with it. the hood will fit fine I believe. I'm gonna use the p30 radiator, and make a custom lower hose out of muffler tubing, since the stock hose won't work, and just connect it with hose ends. it will sit behind where the stock rad fits, which will leave room for an intercooler, and I didn't have a scout rad anyhow, so might as well keep it low budget!

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks for posting great pics and info,this is exactly what I intend on using for a swap vehicle.Since the state shot down my newer vehicles.The scouts are cool and tough just have to go back 35 years and find a decent one.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not alot of pics,now I'm getting the dana 60 and springs installed in the front. this thing is gonna sit pretty high on 38's!
Installed a 89 [email protected]@P XJ steering column and shaft last night, since its tilt and the column was gone from the scout. just had to grind the lower mount plate off the column so it would fit thru the hole in the firewall. works perfect.
Also got hydroboost installed on the firewall. used a p30 hydroboost, with the mounting plate from a regular chevy truck and its the correct length to bolt right into the scout! I love the easy stuff. I'm hoping by the end of the week it will be sitting on its wheels, and i'll be making some driveshafts for it. bounce

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm jealous! Although to my mind a pickup is a more usefull vehicle.

GREAT JOB!

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's a mighty fine looking truck K20!

But keep us updated on the Scout eh?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well heres a pic of the steering column and hydroboost hooked up. used a P30 hydroboost, with a 86 chevy truck hydroboost backing plate, trimmed on the bottom to clear the steering column mount, and it bolted right in.
used a [email protected]%p XJ steering column, and ground the foot off the bottom and it fit right in the stock column mounts. also used the XJ shaft and it bolted right in stock after pushing it shorter. I love easy stuff!

sideshot. i'll sit about 4" higher with the 38s on.

Front springmounts and bumper combo. still gotta plate the front and rear of them, and finish the bumper. the hangers are on the bumper since I used Cheby rear 52" springs in the front.

anyhow, the plan is to have it running and driving in a about a week and a half, so i've been real busy getting it all together. more updates later. bounce

·
Registered
228 Posts
Looks really good man, I like the Chevy springs in the front. Its gonna ride nice. That thing will be huge with 38s on it. Good luck gettin' it on the road.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah nice set up, Im right behind you with this conversion. Im doing the same to a 76 scout. The guy above me (Hot Dawg) got my last 4bt but today I scored 2 more bounce !! I have Hot Dawgs conversion here in Texas and after driving it I cant wait to do the Scout. The reverse shackle looks sweet, I plan on doing the same. Looking good, keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts