Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Group
You are a fantastic resource for information "Great Job"
I am patiently searching for a 4bt to transplant into my 88 wagoneer. To simplfy the transplant i was wondering about adapting my 727 "which has been rebuilt" to the 4bt. I see the majority of swaps use a t400. Can you give me pro"s /con"s. Or should i just get a t400 /kit to change the imput for my 229

·
Registered
143 Posts
AMC patterned transmissions will require additional adaptors. You are better off using a Chevy pattern Turbo 400 with and AMC Turbo 400 output shaft and bullgear so you can use your existing transfer case.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Pst... I have a 6/4BT to (dodge) TF727 adapter, flexplate and starter for sale :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The 89-91.5' Dodge Cummins used a 727HD (37RH) and is completely different case than either the small block or big block 727 (36RH). If you want a 727 you'll want the HD (37RH).

I would advise you to go with an OD. Seriously, the 518 four speed OD will benefit you tremendously, nearly the same transmission with the addition of the OD tail section. The 727, 518 and 618 share many internal components, but the 727 obviously does not have the OD tail section.

·
Registered
618 Posts
AMC patterned transmissions will require additional adaptors. You are better off using a Chevy pattern Turbo 400 with and AMC Turbo 400 output shaft and bullgear so you can use your existing transfer case.
There is nothing interchangable between a AMC paterned 727 and an AMC paterned TH400. His T-case will not work behind a TH400 of any kind without custom adapters.

If you already have the Cummins/727 adapter, the easiest swap would be to take your 727 tailshaft and T-case adapter, and swap that into a Dodge 727, bolt it up to the stock T-case and go.

That being said, I'm in the middle of the same swap, and am using a TH400 mated to a divorced Ford NP205 T-case. Since you will have to buy a lot of driveline parts either way, I'd go with whatever adapter you have for the Cummins. If you have to go that route, I'd try to source an OD just to help keep the engine in the sweet spot.

Hope this helps you out.

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts