Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shouldnt even be thinking about, what im thinking about but........

What are the differnt bolt bellhousing bolt pattens availible for the torqueflite 727? I know of these.

the small block Chrysler (same as dodge 318/360 i think)
big block Chrysler
I think the Diesel dodge is on its own too
There are some buick 350s with the 727 so im guessing that one is different too?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
International Harvester (Cornbinder) small V-8 (SV-266, 304, 345 & 392).

Found in Scout II from approximately 1971 to end of production 1980.

Found in full sized (pickup & Travelall) from approximately 1972 to end of production in 1975.

NOTES:

1. The IH bellhousing is unique. It fits no other make engine.
2. 1971-1972 was the transition from Borg-Warner automatics to the MOPAR sourced 727. Details are a little sketchy. You need to visually verify transmissions in Cornbinders.
3. There details that need to be attended to... (kick down linkage adjustment, starter spacer, sealing bolts, etc)
4. Short answer - Do NOT use an IH 727 behind a diesel engine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Maybe we're both crazy, but being a Chrysler guy, I completely understand why you were thinking of it, because I have too.

If you look around enough, you can find SOMETHING to put a 727 behind almost anything. They've been almost as widely used as the TH350/400, C6, and the r4. You can put them behind almost anything, and they just keep going. Case in point, the early Cummins Dodges had them (as you mentioned I guess). Partially because of parts availability on Chrysler's end, but also because you can pretty much launch bricks out of a water balloon launcher @ them, and they keep going. HAPPILY.

Whatever you put it behind though, will absolutely HAVE to have an ext. overdrive, if you give 2 piles about gas mileage. Or find you a 518 (or a 519 as well, I believe?), they're basically a 727 w/ elec. overdrive. You see one out of a truck or jeep and its really funny how similar they are. Although I'm not sure if you'll find a bellhousing for those that will fit what I think you're thinking.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I have already done a swap with a 47Rh, But i was actually looking into another swap after another member did one without OD and is having some good reports. But thanks for the heads up on the different patterns!

Maybe we're both crazy, but being a Chrysler guy, I completely understand why you were thinking of it, because I have too.

If you look around enough, you can find SOMETHING to put a 727 behind almost anything. They've been almost as widely used as the TH350/400, C6, and the r4. You can put them behind almost anything, and they just keep going. Case in point, the early Cummins Dodges had them (as you mentioned I guess). Partially because of parts availability on Chrysler's end, but also because you can pretty much launch bricks out of a water balloon launcher @ them, and they keep going. HAPPILY.

Whatever you put it behind though, will absolutely HAVE to have an ext. overdrive, if you give 2 piles about gas mileage. Or find you a 518 (or a 519 as well, I believe?), they're basically a 727 w/ elec. overdrive. You see one out of a truck or jeep and its really funny how similar they are. Although I'm not sure if you'll find a bellhousing for those that will fit what I think you're thinking.

·
Registered
860 Posts
-the 904 was run behind the iron duke 4 cylinder( chev pattern) in postal jeeps----these bellhousings are in demand by hardcore offroad jeep guys that run 350 chev(corvette) motors and the 904 cases are filled with 998 internals---the 904/727 case is shorter and gives better driveshaft angles--any of you guys that find this special case be sure to save the torque converter as well because they are about one inch shorter (front to back) than any other and will be needed by the jeep --bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.