Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Just joined up and looking forward to pestering you guys with lots of questions. I will work my way through the frequently asked questions and other stuff before I pester though.

Is there a resident expert here on doing the conversion in a classic bronco.

Looks like a great forum.

Thanks,
Preston

·
Registered
8 Posts
Make that two of us. Mine is a '69 though. Have you decided on a trans yet? I am leaning toward a 700R4 but that is not set in stone. Good luck and I'm sure our paths will cross again.

Great site by the way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had not decided on a trans yet as I am so ignorant that I don't even know what bolts up to the 4bt. Will the 700R4 bolt up to the diesel and the stock bronco transfer case(dana 80 if I remember correctly).

How far in the planning stage are you? Have you found any good links or write ups from others doing an early bronco swap?

I guess UT is a little far away to have a beer and share notes:). That is one of my favorite states with Zion, Bryce, and Moab.

I send you what ever I find out.

Preston

·
Registered
91 Posts
conversion

I had not decided on a trans yet as I am so ignorant that I don't even know what bolts up to the 4bt. Will the 700R4 bolt up to the diesel and the stock bronco transfer case(dana 80 if I remember correctly).

How far in the planning stage are you? Have you found any good links or write ups from others doing an early bronco swap?

I guess UT is a little far away to have a beer and share notes:). That is one of my favorite states with Zion, Bryce, and Moab.

I send you what ever I find out.

Preston
I would go with the manual trasmission NV4500 or the ZF 5 speed, more fun to drive and the NP205 transfer case save $$$ on adapter to mate to the dana 20 there is a guy under the name of halfbreed he is doing the conversion now. Stock motor mount brackets would have to be cut off, 2in body lift for clearance for the transmission and 3.5 suspension lift to make room for the tall engine depending on what transmission you get you need the correct flywheel and bellhousing to the 4bt engine. Once you get those major things done most of your work is done. Would also recomend beefing up your axles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would go with the manual trasmission NV4500 or the ZF 5 speed, more fun to drive and the NP205 transfer case save $$$ on adapter to mate to the dana 20 there is a guy under the name of halfbreed he is doing the conversion now. Stock motor mount brackets would have to be cut off, 2in body lift for clearance for the transmission and 3.5 suspension lift to make room for the tall engine depending on what transmission you get you need the correct flywheel and bellhousing to the 4bt engine. Once you get those major things done most of your work is done. Would also recomend beefing up your axles.
Thanks for the input. My plans are for a daily driver/weekend warrior. Mostly street duty. It is currently a 302/3spd and I had planned on running a 5.0/NV3550, even bought an Explorer motor. Now the diesel bug has hit me and the 5.0 will be used on a different project.

I have toyed with the NV4500 but think that an auto might be easier to live with day to day (never liked the heavy shifting of the NV4500) and they (TH700R4) can be built pretty strong for a reasonable amount. Also, it can be bolted up to the 4BT (if I understand correctly) if I get one out of a chevy van that originally had the TH400. As for adapters, yeah they are spendy and the NP205 is a better T-case, but I already have a D20 with a PTO and the factory (Dealer installed) Ramsey winch which I plan to keep.

Do you really think I need to beef up the axles? I figured the D44 and 9" should hold up OK.

What is the issue with a suspension lift? Does the pan make contact with the front diff? Any way to make a custom pan? How far into the pan does the crank sit or the oil pump pick up? I really do not want a tall truck. Trying to keep it looking relatively stock. How about a dry sump?

Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
conversion

Thanks for the input. My plans are for a daily driver/weekend warrior. Mostly street duty. It is currently a 302/3spd and I had planned on running a 5.0/NV3550, even bought an Explorer motor. Now the diesel bug has hit me and the 5.0 will be used on a different project.

I have toyed with the NV4500 but think that an auto might be easier to live with day to day (never liked the heavy shifting of the NV4500) and they (TH700R4) can be built pretty strong for a reasonable amount. Also, it can be bolted up to the 4BT (if I understand correctly) if I get one out of a chevy van that originally had the TH400. As for adapters, yeah they are spendy and the NP205 is a better T-case, but I already have a D20 with a PTO and the factory (Dealer installed) Ramsey winch which I plan to keep.

Do you really think I need to beef up the axles? I figured the D44 and 9" should hold up OK.

What is the issue with a suspension lift? Does the pan make contact with the front diff? Any way to make a custom pan? How far into the pan does the crank sit or the oil pump pick up? I really do not want a tall truck. Trying to keep it looking relatively stock. How about a dry sump?

Thanks for the input everyone.
The stock dana 44 and 9" will hold up for a daily driver but for a weekend warrior you will need stronger components inside the 9" and the 44, moser axles or any of the aftermarket upgrades along with 31 or 35 splines. As far as lift that is the max i would go without having to worry about being unstable, i had that worry myself but i think it would look cool being slightly taller as long as you dont get carried away with raising it too high. there is also an option of using full width axles from the 78-79 broncos or the 74-79 F150, 250 and 350 they will make your bronco even more stable because of the added width stock compare to EB broco axles are stronger but aftermarket they are about the same but wider for better stability and drive line angles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't seen that one yet. Thanks. Do you know where that guy is located? I really like the idea of cutting out the cross member to lower the engine. This might really help my situation. I could possibly eliminate it all together and build something else in a different spot.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Cross Member

My front crossmember cut to drop my engine in. Have brackets to bolt back, but have driven for a while without (no heavy off-road) and this is low on my priorites. Will eventually put in.

Wayne

·
Registered
8 Posts
Preston, are you following my forum on Classicbroncos.com? It is titled "4bt questions" or something. I am getting some good info over there also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aloha. I'll be diving into this conversion on a '71 Bronco this fall. Has anyone used an NP435 with the 4bt? I already have one behind the 302 in my truck and I'd like to stick with it if possible. It's so durable and it's free for me, of course.

Does anyone have a good set of plans for the motor mounts? What is everyone doing for a radiator? Custom made?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Aloha. I'll be diving into this conversion on a '71 Bronco this fall. Has anyone used an NP435 with the 4bt? I already have one behind the 302 in my truck and I'd like to stick with it if possible. It's so durable and it's free for me, of course.

Does anyone have a good set of plans for the motor mounts? What is everyone doing for a radiator? Custom made?
Hey man i dont know about the np 435 i personally think it is to low its basically a three speed i have a bellhousing if interested it will fit on a ford pattern 4bt and will adapt to any for 4 bolt np435 t-18 etc also i am doing a bronco swap on a 66 i had a guy off ebay sell me an all aluminum radiator bad A$$ for 300 no complaints.:beer:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey man i dont know about the np 435 i personally think it is to low its basically a three speed i have a bellhousing if interested it will fit on a ford pattern 4bt and will adapt to any for 4 bolt np435 t-18 etc also i am doing a bronco swap on a 66 i had a guy off ebay sell me an all aluminum radiator bad A$$ for 300 no complaints.:beer:
yeah, I think I'll just get a radiator with more rows. Will the 4bt fit in the engine bay with the radiator in it's stock position? Any firewall clearance issues?

The T-18 and the NP 435 both have very low first gears (6.32 for the T-18 and 6.69 for the Np435) and it seems like lotsa guys use the T-18. Maybe I can get a ZF five speed someplace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also planning my EB/4bt swap. I'm a sometime poster and frequent reader of classicbroncos.com. Just moved so I'm working out my shop, and waiting for an upcoming check to get my engine/trans. Anyone got drawings/measurements for motor mounts?

-R

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am in the same boat as most of you. I am waiting to get my motor. I am using a ZF 5 tans with the Zf5 converstion kit from west coast broncos. WHen i get my motor i will tear it down and balance the crank and then rebuild it. I have a custom frame from Matkins extreme and Fiberglass body. I have 3.5 in lift with 2 inch body lift. i have invested close to 40000 on it so far. I Haven't been about to find a reasonable motor to by yet. Basicly i have bought everything i need for the swaps so i can probably answer some of your question but i haven't yet begone to start the swap. i haven't decided to use the stock motor mounts or build my own custom polyurithen mounts. hopefully i will start this swaps soon cause i still have to paint the truck and i am going have to repowder coat the frame or i might linex it yet not sure but if you guys have any input on this build please give it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bronco swap

Hi,
I've got a 71 bronco, Cummins 4bt np435, the 4bt is in a Ford version bread truck with a 4 spd. Hope to build it from the ground up as soon as I build my shop. Anyone know if they can be made reasonably quiet on the inside of the cab? I also need the adaptors to go from a 4 sp
Thanksd to a dana 20.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts