Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was woundering if anyone knows anything about the Cummins 903 V8? I heard that that motor was junk. Someone to told me that they were actually a perkins motor.

Thanks

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
I don't really know anything... but I think the 903 is at least acceptable, but not considered desirable.
It's the 555 V8 "triple nickle" that's junk.
I forget the details about the 555, but supposedly in most applications it has a very short life?

Grigg

·
Registered
168 Posts

the 903 was a big bore V8 the up until recently has been used in the Bradley Fighting tank, over 600hp.Large in size and heavy, somewhere in the 2600+lbs....The engine was typical of the V8 design, horse power but no torque..Still a fair number running in the Midwest in Ag Tractors...It was made by Cummins and had absolutely nothing to do with Perkins....Perkins did make a V8 but it was very short lived and was by far worse than the 903...As for the 555 it was a pretty poor product but was often misapplied.....again, typical V8......no torque...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't really know anything... but I think the 903 is at least acceptable, but not considered desirable.
It's the 555 V8 "triple nickle" that's junk.
I forget the details about the 555, but supposedly in most applications it has a very short life?

Grigg
555 was just like the Cat 3208, use them and throw them away. Dido on the "V8's have no torque." When I was in the Army the 8-wheel I drove, it wouldn't get out of it's own way until it hit 2000 RPM, then watch out.:dustin:

Just my loose change on the matter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
... up until recently has been used in the Bradley Fighting tank...
since i left the Army in '05, they still used v903t's in the Bradleys and MLRS's. and, unless there's been a real recent change, they still run them at 650hp. what have you heard they run now?

COLOJEEPGUY2K said:
...When I was in the Army the 8-wheel I drove, it wouldn't get out of it's own way until it hit 2000 RPM, then watch out...
the HEMMT's used an 8v92T ranging from 400 - 440hp, all mechanical. the PLS and HET's had DDEC versions up to 550hp. the "lack of torque" you experienced was the transmission's loose torque converter. that motor actually put out 1300ft-lbs @ 1350 rpm. the torque converter would lock-up at around 2k rpm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts