Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am going to give you ten extra points just for that way cool vice mount! :grinpimp: I will send your link to a friend who has been doing what seems like a ten year build on his 77....im sure he will love to watch your build up. Keep us posted bounce

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a vice...

That's not a vice...it's a fixture for holding injector nozzles while I EDM larger spray holes with a special electrode attached to my arc welder!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sweet build. I am doing a 70 bronco build up and it takin me 3 year so far. Good luck.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's not a vice...it's a fixture for holding injector nozzles while I EDM larger spray holes with a special electrode attached to my arc welder!

BWAAAAAAhahaha Now thats funny, I dont care who you are....:rasta: Man, thanks I need that...;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More slow progress

More slow progress.....still on schedule for completion in early 2010!

http://www.imagestation.com/8606226/3894523523

- Modified Transmission crossmember brackets

- Frame modified for starter & crankshaft pulley

- Motor mount brackets made for Dodge Cummins Generation III(?) mounts

Next steps

- modify the oil pan for Dana 44 clearence

- make a bracket for a Ford vacuum pump, 12SI alternator & additional idler pulley

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why did you need to mount it so low? Are you using any body lift? I haven't gotten to this point yet but I am hoping to mount mine higher to avoid all of the clearance issues you had to overcome. I am just not sure what clearance issues I will create for my trany.

It looks great so far please keep up with the posts and pics!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why did you need to mount it so low? Are you using any body lift?
Unfortunately, some of the decisions are compromises. Below were the major items that drove the modification decisions for this conversion.

> Ford Transmission adapter housing - this placed the starter on the passenger side vs driver side found on a Dodge adapter housing. I know the GM/TH400 adapter housing has the starter on the passenger side..but I don’t know if the starter is in the exact same location as the ford adapter housing.

> Stock Bronco Hood – I think most that have done the NV4500 trans in a 4bt EB have a “raised” hood of various types.

> Wanted to keep the front & rear drive shafts to similar angles/lengths as today.. which are not extreme.

What was changed…..

> Installed a 2” Body Lift

> Trans/Transfer case – raised it 1 ¼” from stock crossmember location. Of course, this could not have been done without the 2” body lift. The trans/transfer case was moved back 1” from the stock location. So, 1 ¼” up ..1” back means only a slight drive shaft length change for the rear and a longer front drive shaft. The angles were only slightly changed.

> Passenger frame rail notched for the starter clearance. So, this is a major decision when using a Ford transmission adapter housing in an EB and a stock hood.

> Front crossmember modified to drop the front of the engine to allow the use of the stock hood and for the transmission/transfer case location. The engine still has a ½” slope from front to rear valve covers with respect to the frame. This did allow additional firewall clearance. By dropping the engine, a case could be made for a slight improvement in the center of gravity…not sure if that will be of any real significants.. In addition, I wanted additional firewall clearance for the testing of different turbine housing configurations. There are many variations of turbine housings that can be used.

> Oil Pan modifications - still to complete….. I have cut it and made some of the pieces. Current plan is to offset the main sump over the amount that needs to clear the front differential. This will require additional patch pieces and welding but will maintain the same amount of oil capacity. Though…it might be easier to have made a complete new offset sump. Again, this might be avoided with a driver side “starter”, allows moving the engine more to the passenger side and if it is raised.

Oh… the corners we paint ourselves into!! Would I do it again?? Still hopeful to find out in early 2010! Good luck with your conversion!:beer:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I really apreciate learning from those who have been were I am trying to go. I am looking at mounting mine with the liquid mounts similar to the JB fab conversion "heavy horses". I am starting with the frame up and my rig to compare to, so hopefully I can mock up and see what clearance issues I'll be presented with.

Thanks again and good luck with rest of your conversion, I'll be anxious to see how it all works out.

Patrick

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Finally completed the oil pan modification. The sump was cut on an angle to slightly increase the depth of the sump to help maintain the original capacity. Additional photos are in the photo album.

http://www.imagestation.com/8606226/3894523523

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
Very nice work on the pan. Sheet metal work is a pain to make look nice, but you managed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I put a 4bt in my 75 bronco about 4 years ago. All of your mods are the same but mine had a gm trans adapter so I used a lakewood gm to ford bellhousing from summit racing. The bronco is great with this 4bt. good luck

chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks great!! Sounds Great!! I've got a 1971 4BT conversion in progress. What did you do for the lower radiator hose? Please post a picture of it if you can.

James

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks great!! Sounds Great!! I've got a 1971 4BT conversion in progress. What did you do for the lower radiator hose? Please post a picture of it if you can.

James
Thanks... I just reviewed your build on the Classicbroncos... that is really nice work!! I just finished up a lower radiator hose adapter. The plan is to use a very short piece of 2 3/8" I.D. hose to the adapter and a curved piece of 1 3/4 I.D. hose to the stock bronco radiator. I did this so fast... but I kept telling myself this is only temporary!! It is made from exhaust pipe adapters. It looks terrible but hopefully will work until another Bronco owner designs and builds a better solution. I think the lower inlet needs to be removed and a custom straight out inlet needs to be built... I think someone has already done this on this site for another type of conversion.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Need advice about mufflers..

I'm getting ready to finish the exhaust on the Bronco. Any advice for the type of muffler I should purchase? Any video with sound (or sound clip) would be great.... I don't want something super loud or I would keep the current 3' of 3" dia exhaust dump that I have!! Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You said that your C4 was "built," what was done to it besides the extra clutch? I have a C4/Dana 20 on my 302 right now. If there is a way to save money by keeping my tranny when I do my swap, that would be cool. I kind of want overdrive, but the C4 is still a good tranny.
Thanks, and your build is just sweet looking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive got a Flowmaster 50 series 3" in out in my '77 Bronco and love it, sounds good if you lay in to it, but its nice and mellow at cruise and barely noticeable at idle, the turbo seems to mellow it out alot compared to other things Ive had with Flowmasters on it. In the end I wanted something quiet and to be honest I cant even hear it over the turbo or the clatter of the motor, unless you stand on it. Keep up the good work and leeme know if you need a hand wrenching I'm up in NC.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts