Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hell I am gtting ready to start my conversion of a 93' 4bt and an nv4500 into a 77' chevy crewcab dually 4 wheel drive with 20k original miles.I will keep you guys updated and will get a lot of pictures. I plan to keep the air intercooler and the ac. My truck also has hydroboost brakes. I dont have many questions atm but if you gyus have any tips before I get started they will be appreciated.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Welcome & goodluck with your swap, just a heads up 3 posts without any pics is an automatic lifetime ban from this site;) ;)

Don't throw anything away till your finnished
Ask loads of Q's as it saves wasted time & money

You sound like you know what your doing anyway so I'll shut up now.

Gaza

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally it was 350, and then it had a twin turbo 350, the a 565cub big block caddy, atm it has a 377 in it.The tranny is the factory 4 spd. It is the camper special, with a dana 60 in the front and a 14 bolt in the back.It is black with white interior. I was wondering about the exhaust for the cummins?what size pipe should I use and what muffler(s)?Thanks Dave

·
Registered
500 Posts
Originally it was 350, and then it had a twin turbo 350, the a 565cub big block caddy, atm it has a 377 in it.The tranny is the factory 4 spd. It is the camper special, with a dana 60 in the front and a 14 bolt in the back.It is black with white interior. I was wondering about the exhaust for the cummins?what size pipe should I use and what muffler(s)?Thanks Dave
Have you already got the NV4500? The Ford 6 speed might be a better swap to mate in front of the NP205. Look around for the thread, there's a lengthy discussion. It would save you $$ in the long run since you've probably got to change your input shaft anyway (Unless you keep the SM465)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thats some list of different motors!! do you get bored? or blow them up?
Size of exhaust, well thats been done a few times here. You will get different replies to this one. IMO I would not go smaller than 3" and no bigger than 4". A 3" will flow just over 1/2 that of a 4" . Are you gonna BOMB?

Gaza

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only motor that blew up was the big block caddy, it still ran when I took it our just had a spun rod bearing. I dont have the nv4500 yet, the donor truck I have is a 93 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive with an automatic. I will be selling the automatic and the rest of the truck if anyone needs any parts in Ohio.I have heard all good things about the nv4500 and nv5600. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep my original transfer case because all the dodge transfer cases I've seen the front drive shaft comes out opposite the chevy.I will pull a few truck pulls with during the summer but it will primarily used for hauling and everyday use.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you're set on the standard shift & keeping the NP205 you can change the input gear to a dodge for a Getgrag 5spd from a late model cummins Or use the Ford input shaft for the 6 speed ZF. The doghouse in your truck is big, so the Ford tranny shouldn't have as much of a clearance issue as a smaller vehicle. Talk to / PM AverageF250 - he's the Manual Tranny Guru.:grinpimp:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am set on a manual, but not on keeping the 205. What years did getgrag and nv4500 come behind cummins? What years did the ford 6 speed zf come in fords? Does anyone know if there is a good chevy 5 or 6 speed that I can use and just adapt to the cummins, that will bolt to the 205. well actually if I get a chevy trans out of a yard I can prolly get the transfer case as well. I looked for an nv5600 but I couldnt find one under 1500.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ouch!!

I am putting a 4bt in a Scout and took my financial lumps over the past days. My Scout like your truck has a paasenger side drop on the pumpkin. I have a Ford Van and the 4bt is on the floor waiting to go in the Scout. I bought an NV4500 with 80k for $700, then I had to buy a bellhousing, starter, adaptor plate, and slave cylinder for $600. Next a New clutch which looks like it will run $300 and I haven't got it yet. Today I bought a NP205 out of a first gen Dodge $650 ouch. With this transfer case you have to make sure that it is the case that was originally behind the Getrag and has a 29 Spline input shaft to match the output shaft of the Cummins. The problem is that this case is difficult to find and I have been searching for months. I was hoping to pay $200 or $300 for a case and have it work. No luck. Then I looked into a Dana 300 which will work, but you have to have it machined and buy a ring and 29 spline input. So let's saty you get a Dana 300 for $100 well the input and ring is $300 and now you have to get it machined. So minimum you are $500 and now you need the female adaptor piec to bolt them together which is another $100. So there really is not a cheap way out. Perhaps the thing to do is use a Dodge NP241 and buy a new front axle. Believe me I have been over and over this and it would have been much cheaper to just throw in my T19 and throw my Dana 20 behind it. If you don't need overdrive this would work, or you could add a splitter. Either was this has been more than I wanted to spend. I would say plan $2000 if you are going to run an NV4500.

·
Registered
854 Posts
If you could find a 4BT engine with the Chevy adapter, I don't see why you couldn't run the manual trans and transfer case from an early 90's Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel 3/4 or 1-ton truck?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I am set on a manual, but not on keeping the 205. What years did getgrag and nv4500 come behind cummins? What years did the ford 6 speed zf come in fords? Does anyone know if there is a good chevy 5 or 6 speed that I can use and just adapt to the cummins, that will bolt to the 205. well actually if I get a chevy trans out of a yard I can prolly get the transfer case as well. I looked for an nv5600 but I couldnt find one under 1500.
The getrag come in 89-93 dodge trucks ,94-2001 had Nv4500 .
Gm 93 -95 used nv4500 small bolt bellhousing pattern ,won't fit Cummins dodge bellhousing.
GM 96-2000 nv4500 bolt to Cummins dodge bellhousing ,just need to swap over input parts for the dodge Nv4500 .

The gm Nv4500 will bolt to a Gm 205 if it has a 32 spline input and has a round 6 bolt pattern mid 80's and up th400 ,4l80e trucks.

The np208 will bolt up from a th400 ,or sm465 mid 's and up.

The Gm t-case came behind the Nv4500 were all IFS trucks Drivers side front diff.

The Nv5600 are big won't fit in the old style straight axle trucks without a body lift ,also they are heavy and hard to get parts for and are high $$ .

Scott

·
Registered
176 Posts
300,000 plus miles on my NV 4500

Even though my NV4500 is in a 93' Chevy behind a 350 its doing just fine except 3rd gear synchro going. Get a dodge nv4500 and use a dodge transfer case unless you find a newer 32 spline 205 Xfer case which are $$$. And you will be happy:dustin:

Its really cool to see an old crew cab dually 4x4 with a 4BT...keep the pics flowing!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts