Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i saw one of these in a brazilian army museum, but had a canvas top and a jeep-like windscreen...
You mean like this?

This is indeed a museum piece or a parade or car show rig. Not to be driven much.
In my case, the WC-56 I plan on buying is what I would call a beater. That hard top is a post war add on. If you look closely, you can see the brackets on the hood for the original fold down windshield.
Besides the 4bt, NV4500, NP205, Dana 60/60 upgrades, I do plan on removing that hard top and re-installing the OEM style flat folding windshield.
I do plan on making it not only road worthy...But, offroad worthy as well.

Mike

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It's still around. Went through a recent divorce. I sort of lost interest during the down time. But, the itch is coming back. Just don't know when I'll get back to it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey Thanks. That's why I picked up a 46rh tranny (with overdrive). I want to keep the rpms down.
Anyway, the RC isn't for speed. I have a Dodge Daytona for speed when I want it...LOL.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm back. I had to get through a divorce and all the legal BS that comes with it. I kept the kids, the house, my toys, and the mangy old dog. During that time, I sort of lost interest in the 4bt conversion and actually considered selling off the RC, 4bt, rebuilt 46rh, and all the various parts that I had accumulated.
But, the 4bt conversion is back on and back on track. I have the engine, been adding various upgrades and modifications including replacing the Delco 78 Amp alternator with a GM CS144, 140 amp alt. It fit as if it could have come like that from the factory. Resealed and installed the vacuum/ps pump from my 91 Dodge CTD doner. Installed a cut down and capped the 6bt exhaust manifold from the 91 doner, removing ports 1 and 6, to move the turbo forward and up...Turbo down and not flipped up. Found or had custom made oil hoses for the moved turbo as well as cut down the intake pipe and install elbow and hump hoses. Motor mounts are from a Grumman/Ford 4bt step van. Installed the 366 governor spring in the VE injector pump. Installed the doner 6bt block heater.
As for the previously mentioned 46rh transmission, it's been rebuilt, including a new overdrive housing that replaced a well worn housing. It will also have the well recommended DTT torque converter.
I just have to work out the under hood electrical, overdrive electrical, run new fuel lines, and remove and clean out the gasser fuel tank.
After the conversion is completed, I'm done. I'm going to keep and enjoy this one last project vehicle. Over the last 30 years, I've had 8 project vehicles. 6 Jeeps and 2 Dodge trucks. I have reached the point that it's no longer fun to tinker and build the vehicles. I'm done laying on cold concrete and or gravel driveways. I've wasted too much money, time, and lost two wives in the process. I just want to finish this build and enjoy the 4bt powered convertible Ramcharger and offroad beast that I built it to be.
Getting ready to tear into it...Updates to follow.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Welcome back! Thanks for a very uplifting message...

"I'm back. I had to get through a divorce and all the legal BS that comes with it. I kept the kids, the house, my toys, and the mangy old dog." This speaks volumes to us guys about your character, knowing how that particular cookie usually crumbles for guys. Sounds like a fabulous life ahead to share with your children!

You've got one of the great Dodge trucks of all time in beautiful condition, A REALLY NICE RIG! That along with a topnotch build going on to install Cummins 'Million Mile' Power and your fine little family to enjoy it all with over the coming years. You're indeed a very fortunate and wealthy man in those things of true value and worth. Prayers for you and yours that all will be good in this and hoping the very best for your bright exciting future together. An amazing adventure lays ahead, sounds GREAT! Glad you shared it with us...and please do keep us informed, thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Finally, after 4 years, it's in like Flint...
First and foremost, the block side motor mounts from the Grumman/Ford 4bt step van are right on the money for the 72 thru 93 Dodge trucks and 74 thru 93 RCs using the standard Dodge CTD 89 thru 93 2710 rubber isolator. Both motor mounts bolted down and positioned the transmission mount perfectly. I couldn't have asked for a better fit.
Still have about a bazillion things to do to make the RC operational. But, I'm stoked to finish it up.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I found them from a member on this site. I'll have to go back and check PMs for his user name. I'll forward that to you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
There's a couple of things I wanted to add.
First, I had previously read in a thread on a forum somewhere about installing not only the 4bt in 72 thru 93 Dodge trucks and RCs, but, also about installing the 6bt. You may make the swap easier by removing the wiper motor before doing the swap. The rear hoist point on the 4bt and 6bt takes up the same space as the wiper motor. That's what held me up and took so long to get around while dropping in the 4bt. Once the 4bt was solid on the mounts and the tranny supported by a floor jack, I removed the hoist and loosened the rear hoist point so I could move the tranny to the side and into place on the cross member. Had I removed the wiper motor before hand, the 4bt would have gone in a lot faster and smoother.
Secondly, The wider and heavier duty Dodge 89 thru 93 CTD tranny cross member will replace the thinner cross member that come standard with the V8s. All the bolt holes lined up and bolted down without issue.
Just things I thought about reporting off the top of my head...

Mike

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I'm back. I had to get through a divorce and all the legal BS that comes with it. I kept the kids, the house, my toys, and the mangy old dog. .

:eek:Been there done that minus the kids-it sucks. BUT worst of all and most troubling to me..........no mention of the Daytona!!!!!!! Say it ain't so...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
:eek:Been there done that minus the kids-it sucks. BUT worst of all and most troubling to me..........no mention of the Daytona!!!!!!! Say it ain't so...
Yes sir. I kept the Daytona as well. I got everything I wanted and refinanced the ex off the house last April. I'm doing just fine. I just need to finish the 4bt conversion and I'll be good.
Although, the new girl in my life doesn't get the "A man and his Cummins truck" thing. But, she's been tolerant and patient while I do the conversion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mike, I stumbled across your thread on the RC. Looks like a fun project. I've got the same thing but a few differences. It's a 79 Plymouth Trailduster with a 4 bt and np 435. Not the best choice of tranny but for now it works. I'm not quite done yet with it. Just thought I'd say hi.
Scott

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Could you post up a few shots of the Daytona? Please tell me we're talking about a wing car and not one of the stickered up, ricer spoilered pick-ups. Or even a Shelby Daytona-those are neat in a Monte Carlo SS, Smokey/Bandit TA kind of way.

21 - 40 of 116 Posts