Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
77 Dodge Ramcharger 4bt build. MPG numbers.

Hi Guys,
I suppose I should introduce myself. A couple three of you may know of me. I come from the FSJ crowd and go by J10Mike. I joined this site some time ago and have been lurking and gathering information. I already see that there are a good group of people here. So, if I ask any dumb questions, take into account that I'm a noob...At least as 4bt conversions are concerned.
I have since sold my 82 two seater built J10 Sportside and picked up a relatively rust free 77 Dodge Ramcharger with more room for my family and room for extra gear.
Anyway, I have always liked the 74 thru 80 poptop Ramchargers and Plymouth Trail Dusters. Pull the top for that convertible ride.
My original intention was to drop a 440 into it and enjoy the power and that 6MPG while enjoying that power.
Already being the owner a of a 01 Dodge CTD, I decided to explore other options with the Cummins 4bt as a great near bolt in conversion.
Here is what I started with...Stock, 360/727/203, on 33s. It was a perfect day for a ride while topless.

I have since swapped in a rebuilt Dodge front D60 with Detroit TrueTrac and a rear Dodge D60HD with Detroit Locker. Both from the same 78 Dodge W300 one ton and have 4.10 gears and were completely rebuilt by yours truly. Also swapped in at the same time was 4 inch all spring lift and 35s on black wagon wheels.

I came across a 91 Dodge CTD doner truck a few weeks back and picked that up. It has a non-running 6bt and the 727/205 combo that I was looking for (with 4.10s? Is he nuts?). Anyway, the bed and rear D70 had already been removed, so it came very cheap.
My wife asked me...Did you know you were buying half a truck? It's not how it looks. It's about all the componants, linkages, etc that are compatible with my RC. And, there are many.
So, which leads me to this...I don't even have a 4bt to install yet. 33% of the cash I has set aside for the 4bt was spent on the doner truck. Oh well...Just have to save another 33% and wait for the right 4bt to come along.
Love the site and all the very good information.

Party On...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Oops...Here is the 91 Dodge CTD doner truck described by my wife as the half truck.

For those of you that like the FSJ, here a pic of my built 82 Jeep J10. I do miss it...

Party On...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Man, that '91 is too sweet for use as a donor. I'd just drive it...
Looks like you're getting it all together, keep us posted!
I've always liked the old ramchargers, too, but I can't leave well enough alone. So, I'm wanting to get a ramcharger and an old crew cab and build a Dodge Suburban:grinpimp:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
That's one beautiful Ramcharger buddy! Very nice work and yeah, I LOVE YELLOW TRUCKS TOO!

With what you've got stuff an NV4500 5 speed in there and you will be one happy guy, guaranteed. Ratios are just right with the 4.1 for street use or offroad.

There is a long stretch between 3rd & 4th but it's liveable and works fine. I run that combo and except for steep twisty mountain roads it's ideal. Otherwise your 727 should be just fine. Nice project!

May I ask what color yellow that is?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good to see you over here Mike.

I think you should put some industrial casters on the rear of the donor truck and have fun in a large empty parking lot! You should be able to make back your 4b money find by selling excess parts (was that a D60 I saw under the dodge). Its the linkages, and misc pieces that will nickle and dime you, sometimes mor ethan the sum of a motor or trans. Its like being nibbled to death by a duck, slow and painful.

I know there is at least one ramcharger buildup in here, maybe more.

Welcome again

Austin

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys,
The color is a little off. But, I believe it is Corvette yellow.
On the doner truck, that's a D61. While just as tough, it doesn't command the same value as the D60. If I don't sell it whole, I may part it out.
The same goes for the 6bt. I'll be selling that too.
On the doner truck, I'm just going to swap in the old RC axles. They should bolt in to make it a roller before going to the crusher.
Now, I have to disassemble the doner, get rid of what's left, and the hunt for a good 4bt is on.
I appreciate your nice comments.

Party On...

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is going to be a nice build. My ole man had a burgundy Ramcharger of the same vintage as yours, and I have a lot of fond memories of that thing.

As tndoner said.. The little things will get ya. I spent a ton of time and money trying to hunt down the exact right size thingamajigger for some dooflotchie.. Even with the help of this site it has been a challange at times.

Good luck!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow...It's been awhile since I posted on my build. There wasn't much to report until today.
I took delivery of a 4bt CPL 0858 engine today. Oh man...Now, it's going to get real interesting.
I'm sure I'll be picking some brains here if you don't mind. I just want to do it right the first time.
Here a few pics...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody recognize the alternator on this engine? If so, any idea of the amps?
It came out of a Lays/Dorito stepvan.

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Look on the case for the number of amps, probably next to a number that starts with 110xxx followed by xxA. The xxA is the amp number.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any updates Mike?

I'm interested to see how your Ramcharger 4bt swap goes since I am seriously thinking about swapping a 4bt into my '85 Ramcharger.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
sweet ramcharger. How's the build going???

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for the delay. I just saw the recent replies.
Not much going on at the moment. Been in hibernation mode for the Winter. In the mean time, I have been collecting parts like...Dodge 46rh auto overdrive tranny out of a 92 W350 CTD. The reverse is out. So, it will be rebuilt. Other odds and ends like electric fan for the radiator, mounts, etc.
Also have the opportunity to buy the below rig...1943 Dodge WC-56 Command Car. It's currently owned by an old friend of mine. He's given me first crack at it. I'm probably going to buy it pending inspection...Mainly to make sure the frame is still good.
But, this rig is just screaming 4bt conversion as well as an upgrade to more modern 1 ton axles. We'll see though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
One Dodge in the hand and another in the bush?

Mike,

Your '77 Ramcharger really pulls on my heart-strings, and my hope is that you can get her outfitted with the desired Cummins diesel. Old Mopars like your Ramcharger and your hopeful '43 Dodge are no longer a dime a dozen like they used to be, and rest assured are back to being head-turners like in their heyday.

Best wishes with your conversion and please keep us up to speed on your progress.

Brian

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey mike, just wanted to say hi. after watching your progress over at RCC i am really looking at this swap now. if i can find one and get it done before june is the question. we are headed to memphis and dallas the end of june, driving the truck. the plan for now anyway. i have the new magnum 360 ready to go in but these 4bt's keep pulling at me. they are hard to find here though. (vegas)

1 - 20 of 112 Posts