Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Well, I finished topside last night with the steel braided hose into -6an fittings. What a bear to get it right. The hose is about 4 inches too long. But, it will work. Better 4 inches too long than than an inch too short. I fired up the engine for a couple minutes to check for oil leaks. No leaks.
Just need to clamp down the down pipe and modify the exhaust. I'll be watching EGTs. If too high, an intercooler will be the next upgrade.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Looking good. Yeah, better a little too long than too short. LOL. I suspect the intercooler will come into play unless you only plan running a very mild boost. EGT's in the 1200 deg range are acceptable, but down around 1000 deg is much nicer. Cruising EGT should be in the 500-700 deg range when there is no significant load.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
All done. I guess I better get the good beer for the exhaust guy. Because, that weld job he did on the down pipe was right on the money. It mated up with the rest of the exhaust system perfectly. I can't ask for a better fit. And, even with the heat shield, I have just more than an inch of clearance from the firewall.
I haven't driven it yet. Got a family function to go to tonight and have to get cleaned up. Will take it out for a spin tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looking good man! nice to see another old mopar build. I used a generic $60.00 ebay intercooler on my build. It just fit between the grill and core support. I had to modify the hood latch lever a little.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Great build and awesome truck, my turbo down pipe was also very close to fire wall. I removed flange adapter and made a plate to weld down pipe on.
Thanks Buddy, I actually viewed that pic in your build thread. And, I did take real close look at it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
Drive test completed and it appears the turbo upgrade was successful. It does seem to have more pep. Boost level went from max 12 psi (H1C) to 22 psi (Super HX30w). I'll push it again to see if boost will go higher.
And, here's the interesting thing. EGTs went from 1100 * at 70 MPH (H1C) to between 1000* & 1050* at 70 MPH (Super HX30w). It didn't hit 1100* until I got up to 75 MPH. Before and after tests were on the same stretch of level highway.
And yes, I did remove the silencer ring. So, it's a whistlin'
I'm a happy guy on Father's Day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a hx30 and when I push it hard to 80mph egt climbs to 1200 cruse 55-60 around 700. Runs 20 psi of boost max. Have you checked your mpg? I get around 18 back and forth to work have 3:50 gears and 33.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I have a hx30 and when I push it hard to 80mph egt climbs to 1200 cruse 55-60 around 700. Runs 20 psi of boost max. Have you checked your mpg? I get around 18 back and forth to work have 3:50 gears and 33.
I have yet to calculate MPGs. You're about the tenth guy to ask...LOL. I hope to get the MPGs soon.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I'll be turning up the fuel screw shortly and have a feeling that an intercooler will be needed afterwards. After checking out all kinds of intercoolers online, I stumbled upon what I was looking for. A 1st gen Dodge CTD intercooler. When I bought the down pipe from a local guy a few months back, his parting words were, "give me a call if you need any other parts".
So, I sent him a text yesterday. Well, what do ya know??? He's got a good 1st gen intercooler and all the piping laying around for a very reasonable price. I didn't hesitate...I pick it up this weekend.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
Well, picked up the 1st gen intercooler and pipes today. Just have to figure out how I want to modify the core support.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
OMG...My 4bt gots some power now. It's hard to believe it's the same engine. I turned up the VE pump...Adjusted fuel pin to steepest facing front of vehicle. Turned star wheel 2 full turns clockwise. And, turned up fuel screw 1.5 turns. I did not touch the smoke screw. That sure did wake up the Super HX30w. Just unbelievable performance increase.

I got home from the test drive, pulled into the garage, and thought...I'm not done. So, I took it out for another spin. It's really fun to drive now. Especially with the top off.

As for statistics...Boost still only maxed out at 23 PSI. EGTs were 1050* at 65 MPH, 1100* at 70 MPH, and 1150* at 75 MPH. That's on the same stretch of level highway as before. Unfortunately, it looks like that intercooler will be needed. Chugging up some steep grades with a heavy foot brought the EGTs up close to 1400*. I backed off the throttle a little bit to get it below 1300*. So, the intercooler is the next upgrade. But, what was good is that before the turbo upgrade, I would have to drop down to 2nd gear to get up those same steep grades. Now, I went up those grades in Drive and the speed was still increasing.

I'm definitely very happy with this turbo upgrade and turning up the VE pump.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
OMG...My 4bt gots some power now. It's hard to believe it's the same engine. I turned up the VE pump...Adjusted fuel pin to steepest facing front of vehicle. Turned star wheel 2 full turns clockwise. And, turned up fuel screw 1.5 turns. I did not touch the smoke screw. That sure did wake up the Super HX30w. Just unbelievable performance increase.

I got home from the test drive, pulled into the garage, and thought...I'm not done. So, I took it out for another spin. It's really fun to drive now. Especially with the top off.

As for statistics...Boost still only maxed out at 23 PSI. EGTs were 1050* at 65 MPH, 1100* at 70 MPH, and 1150* at 75 MPH. That's on the same stretch of level highway as before. Unfortunately, it looks like that intercooler will be needed. Chugging up some steep grades with a heavy foot brought the EGTs up close to 1400*. I backed off the throttle a little bit to get it below 1300*. So, the intercooler is the next upgrade. But, what was good is that before the turbo upgrade, I would have to drop down to 2nd gear to get up those same steep grades. Now, I went up those grades in Drive and the speed was still increasing.

I'm definitely very happy with this turbo upgrade and turning up the VE pump.

It is my experience on those higher EGT's that the intercooler will help minimally. My biggest issue with the higher EGT's in south MS is that the engine will get very hot fast. I have a double pass radiator and two Taurus fans. If i'm seeing smoke, its getting hot. This is mainly true on steep hills or towing. Otherwise my thermostat doesnt even open much. I went back to stock pin for now. i had the Denny T stage two pin in her. I have a HY30W on the shelf and no time to put her in. I have the stock H1C with a 12CM exhaust housing. Going from the 16CM to 12CM is a big jump. Id love to see what the 7CM Hy30 will be like. I hope all goes well as you get her tuned in.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
A intercooler should drop the EGT about 150-200 deg. 1400 is getting in the danger zone. Aluminum melts at 1221 deg F. Pistons may be an alloy so that can go higher. 1200 deg is normally a fairly safe number. Must also remember that the temp inside the combustion chamber may be higher than the reading just prior to the turbo. Just remember to let it idle and get the heat down before you shut it off. Don't want to coke the oil in the bearings.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
A intercooler should drop the EGT about 150-200 deg. 1400 is getting in the danger zone. Aluminum melts at 1221 deg F. Pistons may be an alloy so that can go higher. 1200 deg is normally a fairly safe number. Must also remember that the temp inside the combustion chamber may be higher than the reading just prior to the turbo. Just remember to let it idle and get the heat down before you shut it off. Don't want to coke the oil in the bearings.
Got it. Thanks Charles.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
Took a long road trip in the RC over this weekend. Finally, some real hand calculated MPG numbers using GPS speedometer/tripometer. 90% highway doing 65 to 70 MPH.

4bt, 46rh, 4.10s, on 35s. 19.25 MPG.

I was hoping for at least 20 MPG. But, close enough. Maybe had I had 3.54 gearing. Oh well.

At least it's better than the 9 MPG I was getting with the old 360.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Took a long road trip in the RC over this weekend. Finally, some real hand calculated MPG numbers using GPS speedometer/tripometer. 90% highway doing 65 to 70 MPH.

4bt, 46rh, 4.10s, on 35s. 19.25 MPG.

I was hoping for at least 20 MPG. But, close enough. Maybe had I had 3.54 gearing. Oh well.

At least it's better than the 9 MPG I was getting with the old 360.
Not bad for a 40 year old truck with style!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Received the new M3 fuel pin today and it took all of about 8 minutes to get it installed. Took it for a spin. Again, what another positive difference in performance. I believe I chirped the rear tires going from 1st to 2nd gear. I actually didn't hear a chirp. I just felt the loss of traction during the shift. The new Super HX30w turbo spools that quickly now. I still can't believe the power I'm getting out of this 4 cylinder diesel engine. It's like decent V8 power. Of course, not as quick as my Hemi Charger. But, nice power for a 41 year old 4bt powered truck.
I wonder what the HP and torque has increased to.

In the pic, stock fuel pin on the left. New M3 fuel pin on the right.

While I was at it, I also replaced the squeaking belt tensioner tonight as well. No more squeaks...

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Sunday's drive home. Just leaving. Only 122 miles to get home. That was one HOT ride.
What I got out of it? It's a reliable vehicle for road trips now. And, round trip MPGs.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Sounding good. Most of that power you're feeling is torque which these engines are famous for. The torque generally runs about 2.5 times the HP. So if you get near the 200 HP range then you have around 500 lb ft of torque which is probably more than the hemi.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts