Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Sounding good. Most of that power you're feeling is torque which these engines are famous for. The torque generally runs about 2.5 times the HP. So if you get near the 200 HP range then you have around 500 lb ft of torque which is probably more than the hemi.
Thanks Charles. That's good to know. I'm curious as to what the HP and torque numbers are now. Up next...Intercooler.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Thanks Charles. That's good to know. I'm curious as to what the HP and torque numbers are now. Up next...Intercooler.
Read about your fuel pin, definitely a difference maker. Are you getting any smoke under heavy load or acceleration? I discovered rolling coal to be a bad idea lol. It heats up quick and is a waste. I've got min down to a light haze.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Read about your fuel pin, definitely a difference maker. Are you getting any smoke under heavy load or acceleration? I discovered rolling coal to be a bad idea lol. It heats up quick and is a waste. I've got min down to a light haze.
Actually, I just noticed more smoke than usual with heavy foot acceleration from a stop sign last night. The sun was setting behind me and I saw a plume of smoke haze left at that intersection in my rear view mirror. I'll be watching that more closely.
I'm not into rolling coal. But, it does come in handy to back off tailgaters...LOL.

·
Registered
784 Posts
It always seem like more smoke in the setting sun than in full light of day.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
It always seem like more smoke in the setting sun than in full light of day.
Yep, I thought about that too. After all, it is a diesel. Extra smoke is par for the course. But, I'll be watching it a bit more closely anyway.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Generally, the only smoke you should see is when you first take off from a stop. At that point you have more fuel than air. Once the boost comes on the smoke should vanish. If you see smoke when up to speed you probably have too much fuel. The leaner you run a diesel the better. Exact reverse of a gas engine. Diesels run cooler when lean where gas engines run hotter. If you have smoke when cruising you need to either turn down the fuel a tad or adjust the boost higher. Smoke is just wasted energy.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Generally, the only smoke you should see is when you first take off from a stop. At that point you have more fuel than air. Once the boost comes on the smoke should vanish. If you see smoke when up to speed you probably have too much fuel. The leaner you run a diesel the better. Exact reverse of a gas engine. Diesels run cooler when lean where gas engines run hotter. If you have smoke when cruising you need to either turn down the fuel a tad or adjust the boost higher. Smoke is just wasted energy.
As so far, no smoke at idle and no smoke at cruising speed. I've only seen a puff of smoke at engine start up and some smoke taking off from a stop.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Hey Guys,
After three years, Intercooler finally installed, Part 1, completed. This factory I/C is out of a 92 Dodge that I picked up from a local guy (Stretch) a couple few years back. An old guy at local radiator shop leak tested it and painted it for me over the Summer. I put the drill and sawzall to work to cut rectangular holes into the core support. It was that, or try to locate a 91.5 thru 93 I/C factory core support. Which, are few and far between these days.
Anyway, it had plenty of room behind the grill and install came out better than I expected. Pics below.
Up next, Part 2. Installation of new intake manifold, intake horn, clock the turbo, and run the pipe.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Grille

Hood Light Grille Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Tire Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Looking good. She's going to be much happier when you get that all plumbed in and working.
Thanks Charles. I appreciate your comment. Still plenty of room behind the grill. I could almost install a pusher fan if I ever needed it.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,744 Posts
Hey Guys,
After three years, Intercooler finally installed, Part 1, completed. This factory I/C is out of a 92 Dodge that I picked up from a local guy (Stretch) a couple few years back. An old guy at local radiator shop leak tested it and painted it for me over the Summer. I put the drill and sawzall to work to cut rectangular holes into the core support. It was that, or try to locate a 91.5 thru 93 I/C factory core support. Which, are few and far between these days.
Anyway, it had plenty of room behind the grill and install came out better than I expected. Pics below.
Up next, Part 2. Installation of new intake manifold, intake horn, clock the turbo, and run the pipe.
The first gen Dodge CAC will keep your EGT's in check and it's a easy fit. Had one in my Scout and had it pushing 200hp, no EGT problems.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
That's good to hear. Thanks

101 - 112 of 112 Posts