Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this swap back in 2016 and have driven it 15k miles. I thought I would post some info and my experience. This swap was fairly easy and many people have done it in these older fords. I purchased the engine off of Craigslist it is a 2001 4bt out of a lull fork lift. It has the industrial bosh a style injection pump and governor. I also purchased a zf five speed off of Craigslist out of a 1990s f250.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I moved the factory cross member back one set of bolt holes. This allowed me to retain the factory drive shafts. I just had to drill two holes in frame for rear off cross member. This kept the transfer case in the factory location. I also had to cut the ears off the zf bell housing, to clear the floor pan. I installed engine and drilled holes for trans mount. Then mocked up motor mounts. I removed factory frame stands and mounted a piece of 3 in angle on the driver side frame rail using bolts from coil bucket. Passenger side I mounted on top of frame fail with bolt holes from original frame stand. I used motor mounts from a cj7 with the straight six. Engine mounts are made out fo 1/4 plate and 3in channel I cut off old corn picker.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased a hydraulic clutch master, line and slave cylinder for a 1990 f250. I plated fire wall with 1/4in plate to mount master. Made brackets on factory clutch pedal. I setup works good but I mounted master to low and clutch pedal I fairly heavy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the exhaust and turbo I used the cut and welded 6bt manifold. I cut ends off with portaband and welded on caps with mig welder. Has held up so far, caps where 3/16in plate. Turbo is a eBay China made hx30. I made plate for back of turbo for down pipe to clear fire wall. Exhaust is 3in with a small muffler.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I retained the factory alternator and wiring. I installed a group 31 battery and ran new battery and starter cables. Battery fits in factory battery tray. One battery starts it fine to about 25 degrees. I installed a block heater but it rarely gets cold enough to need it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Thank you. Wish my engine compartment looked that nice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am using a dodge vacuum pump and power steering setup. I had to install a remote power steering reservoir. The power steering pump would overflow when engine was shut off. I installed a electric fan with a thermostat switch. Even after driving in sand at low speed never gets above 180.

I am happy with how truck preforms, and am glad I did it. Truck cruise down road great and has good power. With the five speed and 3.50 gears with 33in tires. It pulls good and builds boost fast. Exhaust gas temperatures will climb if you hold it fill throttle. It will run 85 mph top speed. Cruising at 65 is perfect with egt at 600 and 9 psi of boost. I don’t have a tachometer so I have no idea of rpms it turning.You can definitely fell when it’s at governed rpm. The road manners of the industrial pump are fine. Only thing it will do is start to surge if you really load it a low rpm. Like trying to take off in third gear at idle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Final thoughts, still glad I did it makes truck fun to drive. I just recently took it on a trip and drove about 400 miles. Fuel economy average was 20mpg. Which is a lot better than the 8mpg the gas engine. With the 5 speed the road manners are great and can cruise for hours easily. Just need to install some type of cruise control.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Cost break down in 2016
4bt $2500
Zf5 $300
Sbf bell housing and fly wheel with starter $750
Dodge vacuum/power steering pump $250
eBay hx30 $200
Hydraulic clutch setup $200
Misc hoses and fluids $300
Electric fan spal 14in $60
Air filter $30
Exhaust pipe and muffler $150
All the misc stuff like gaskets bolts paint $500.
6bt exhaust manifold used $60

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
With your ZF, 33" tires, and 3.50 gears you should be turning 1761 RPM @ 65 MPH. That is dead on the peak torque point for these engines. At 85 MPH you'd be at 2303 RPM which is about when the engine starts to defuel. If you had a higher RPM governor spring you could go faster. Most install a 3200 RPM spring in the VE pumps but you don't have to do that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks,
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Power steering pump was a reman from Napa. Vacuum pump was a reman from eBay.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts