Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a 78 f150 with a 4bt and diesel zf5 transmission. the engine and transmission will be going into an early bronco as the f150 is not my cup of tea.

I began the process to remove the engine from the truck but I cannot seem to get it apart. Everything is disconnected, and the bellhousing is not corroded to the engine/billet adapter, but i cannot get the two to separate more than about 1/8 of an inch between the bellhousing and adapter plate.

It looks like the 4bt wants to lift out vertically based on the motor mounts (studs in the fluid filled mounts). I am guessing the transmission has some sort of input shaft that would make it nearly impossible to life only the engine out vertically?

A friend suggested removing the transmission first by unbolting it and sliding it back from the engine, then drop it down and out. At this point the engine could likely be lifted straight out.

What is the proper way to do this? Do i need to unbolt the clutch/pressure plate before separating the engine/transmission?

Am i missing something?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I recently acquired a 78 f150 with a 4bt and diesel zf5 transmission. the engine and transmission will be going into an early bronco as the f150 is not my cup of tea.

I began the process to remove the engine from the truck but I cannot seem to get it apart. Everything is disconnected, and the bellhousing is not corroded to the engine/billet adapter, but i cannot get the two to separate more than about 1/8 of an inch between the bellhousing and adapter plate.

It looks like the 4bt wants to lift out vertically based on the motor mounts (studs in the fluid filled mounts). I am guessing the transmission has some sort of input shaft that would make it nearly impossible to life only the engine out vertically?

A friend suggested removing the transmission first by unbolting it and sliding it back from the engine, then drop it down and out. At this point the engine could likely be lifted straight out.

What is the proper way to do this? Do i need to unbolt the clutch/pressure plate before separating the engine/transmission?

Am i missing something?
My 1986 F150 is the next generation, so the chassis and cab are different. I installed the engine and transmission (M5R2, sometimes called M5OD) as an assembly. I had to modify the firewall and make a new lift bracket on the back of the engine. The oil pan just barely clears the cross member - takes lots of small moves - a little back - a little down, etc stick the engine in the hole.

I have removed the transmission a couple of times (the hydraulic throwout bearing is concentric to the input shaft - NOT ONE OF FORD'S BETTER IDEAS). Engine and transmission come out as an assembled unit - at a steep angle. I do not have any pictures of the as-installed configuration. I used an engine tilter and the angle was greater than 45 degrees at some point.

I recommend separating the transmission from the engine while everything is resting on the shop floor. The clutch and pressure plate remains bolted to the flywheel.

If you are trying to take the transmission out while the engine remains in the chassis, the unknown in your installation is if the bellhousing has enough room to clear the firewall. The input shaft needs to come out of the clutch disk splines and some extra distance back to clear the pressure plate.

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
I'd say the safe thing would be just remove the transmission first. Need a transmission jack so you can just slide it straight back from the engine. Trying to get one out in one piece can be a real headache. Engine would have to come straight forward several inches to get the input shaft out of the clutch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts